Withdraw cases against Bhatta farmers: Rajnath to AkhileshMay 8th, 2012 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 8 (IANS) Former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh Tuesday wrote to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav seeking his “immediate and personal” intervention in withdrawing cases against Bhatta-Parsaul farmers who were booked for various charges during the land acquisition-related protests.
In the one-page letter, Singh has pointed out that before the recent assembly elections, the Samajwadi Party had supported the farmers of Bhatta-Parsaul in their fight against land acquisition by the then Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) government.
“There was palpable anger against the atrocities on the farmers. After you came to power there was widespread belief that the cases would be withdrawn against the farmers and their leader Manveer Singh Teotia,” he said, demanding that the state government immediately withdraw the cases slapped on the farmers and release them from jails.
Five farmers were killed at Ghodi Bachheda in Greater Noida in 2008 when police opened fire on a group of farmers who were seeking greater price for their land acquired for the Yamuna Expressway. Another five farmers were killed in 2010 at Aligarh’s Tappal, while two farmers and two policemen were killed at Bhatta-Parsaul in Greater Noida when clashes broke out over land acquisition by the Yamuna Expressway Authority.
Earlier last month, the Samajwadi Party government had withdrawn criminal cases slapped against 24 farmers during the Mayawati rule for violence at Tappal.
- UP to withdraw cases slapped against farmers - Aug 22, 2012
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Fourth Lead, correcting designation in para 4) - May 09, 2011
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Third Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Farmer's leader Teotia fasts for sixth day in jail - Sep 11, 2011
- Farmer leader Teotia fasts in jail - Sep 10, 2011
- Rights panel finalises Bhatta-Parsaul report - Jul 05, 2011
- Land protests: Reward announced for five farmer leaders - May 09, 2011
- Weapon 'robbed' by Tewatia recovered - Jul 10, 2011
- Mother of Greater Noida farmer leader threatens protest - May 28, 2011
- Rs.50,000 reward announced for farmer leader - May 08, 2011
- Farmer fury spreads, death toll is four (Second Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Opposition leaders arrested at Greater Noida - May 09, 2011
- Rahul plans to address Bhatta-Parsaul farmers - Jun 30, 2011
- Farmer leader Tewatia arrested in south Delhi - Jul 09, 2011
- Congress blames Mayawati government for farmers' agitation - May 09, 2011
Tags: akhilesh yadav, assembly elections, atrocities, bahujan samaj party, bharatiya janata party, bjp president, chief minister, clashes, expressway authority, farmers, greater noida, jails, land acquisition, lucknow, party government, personal intervention, policemen, rajnath singh, Samajwadi Party, state government