Wish movement had remained as it was, says Kiran BediAugust 27th, 2012 - 4:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 27 (IANS) Kiran Bedi, a key member of the disbanded Team Anna, Monday said she wished India Against Corruption (IAC) had remained “a national movement” and asked members of the group to focus on the ruling Congress in their agitations.
Bedi, who did not participate in the Arvind Kejriwal-led protest in the national capital Sunday, setting off speculation of differences among the erstwhile Team Anna grouping, said the IAC should “focus on the political party which can give you the law”.
Bedi said she would join the next protest by IAC “only if they focus and remain non- partisan and they remain inclusive, and if they don’t paint everyone with the same brush”.
Asked if she was unhappy with the way the IAC movement was heading, Bedi told a television channel: “I certainly wish this movement had remained the way it was - as a national movement.”
Bedi kept away from the IAC agitation Sunday in which Kejriwal and Prashant Bhushan led hundreds of supporters to besiege the houses of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief Nitin Gadkari to protest corruption.
In a tweet, she told a supporter that she was “only for focus of the movement to hold the party in power accountable. They alone have the power to replace the rotten system”.
Kejriwal later told journalists that Bedi had conveyed to them that she was against protesting against the BJP and wanted the movement to focus on the Congress.
- Agitation should have targeted PM, says Bedi as rift rumours deepen (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Police battle anti-graft protesters outside PM's house, Hazare for second freedom movement (Intro Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
- Kiran Bedi skips IAC protest rally - Aug 26, 2012
- Police battle anti-corruption protests near PM, Sonia houses (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2012
- Anna's decision to break off shocking, says Kejriwal - Sep 20, 2012
- Anna disbands Team Anna, leaders perplexed (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Anna disbands Team Anna, colleagues perplexed (Intro Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Whither Team Anna? (News Analysis) - Oct 30, 2011
- Kejriwal arrested, vows to protest again (Third Lead) - Aug 26, 2012
- Congress, other parties have corruption-blackened hands: Hazare - Aug 26, 2012
- Two Team Anna members quit, Bedi denies cracks (Roundup) - Oct 18, 2011
- Police use force on protests near PM, Sonia houses (Evening Lead) - Aug 26, 2012
- Will continue protest outside PM residence: Kejriwal (Second Lead) - Aug 26, 2012
- Disbanding Team Anna was collective decision, say members (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Anna, team stand 'separated' (Second Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
Tags: agitation, arvind kejriwal, bharatiya janata party, bhushan, bjp, congress president sonia gandhi, corruption, journalists, kiran bedi, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, paint, prashant, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, protest, speculation, television channel, tweet