Winning panchayat polls a priority: Himachal Congress chiefOctober 26th, 2010 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Oct 26 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh Congress president Kaul Singh Thakur, who retained the post for the second time in state Congress chiefs’ reshuffle Tuesday, said his top priorities would be to win the forthcoming panchayat and local elections.
“The party would right now focus on winning panchayat and local bodies elections that are due in January,” Thakur told IANS.
His name was cleared Tuesday by Congress president Sonia Gandhi along with other state party chiefs. Gandhi was authorised by state Congress units to choose their chiefs.
Thakur said during the forthcoming elections, due representation would be given to the youth and the women.
“Of course, the party’s campaign against misdeeds of the ruling (Bharatiya Janata Party) government would continue,” he added.
Thakur, former speaker of the state legislative assembly, was appointed the state Congress president for the first time July 7, 2008. He replaced Viplove Thakur, a Rajya Sabha member who resigned after the party’s defeat in the state assembly polls in December 2007.
According to party sources, Steel Minister Virbhadra Singh, five-time chief minister, was keen that Gangu Ram Musafir, another former speaker, or Chander Kumar, a former member of parliament from Kangra, be made the state party chief.
- Virbhadra, Anand Sharma in Congress' Himachal strategy panel - May 07, 2012
- Congress sets up coordination panel in Himachal Pradesh - Feb 09, 2011
- Himachal Congress tries to put house in order (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 28, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh meets Sonia, supporters - Aug 22, 2012
- Congress appoints Virbhadra campaign committee chief for Himachal elections - Jul 17, 2012
- Congress assures sulking Virbhadra of larger say in candidate selection (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh is Himachal Congress chief - Aug 26, 2012
- Congress tries to mollify sulking Virbhadra - Jul 27, 2012
- Sonia rallies in Himachal in September - Aug 29, 2012
- Congress legislators want seniors to come together (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 08, 2012
- Himachal Congress legislators knock on Sonia's door (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 22, 2012
- Suspense over Virbhadra as Himachal Congress chief - Aug 25, 2012
- Five-time Himachal minister dead - Sep 01, 2012
- Virbhadra determined to steer assembly poll (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 03, 2012
- Virbhadra moves to grab reins of power (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 15, 2012
Tags: chander, congress chief, congress president sonia gandhi, due representation, forthcoming elections, kaul, legislative assembly, local elections, member of parliament, party chief, party chiefs, party government, rajya sabha member, reshuffle, shimla, state assembly polls, state congress, thakur, top priorities, virbhadra singh