Willing to go to jail, will cooperate in probe: ModiApril 28th, 2009 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS
Anand (Gujarat), April 28 (IANS) Chief Minister Narendra Modi Tuesday said he was willing to go to jail if his involvement in the 2002 Gujarat riots was proved by the Supreme Court appointed Special Investigative Team (SIT).
“I will abide by the Supreme Court directives and fully cooperate in any probe. I am willing to go to jail if my involvement is proved by the SIT in the (post) Godhra riots,” he said addressing a public meeting here on the last leg of his campaign tour.
The Supreme Court Monday ordered a special probe panel to investigate the role of Modi and top state officials in the 2002 communal riots and submit a report in three months.
Addressing a news conference in Ahmedabad, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani said the Supreme Court directive on the post-Godhra investigations was not a jolt to the BJP.
“The Supreme Court order is for an inquiry to be instituted and its directives would be followed by the party,” he said.
- I am ready to go to jail, if my involvement is proved: Modi - Apr 28, 2009
- Amicus curiae's report does not matter: BJP - May 08, 2012
- Ahmedabad court to pronounce verdict in Godhra riots case tomorrow - Feb 21, 2011
- Top cop implicates Modi in Gujarat riots (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2011
- Godhra riot case: Apex court affords Modi relief (Second Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- 23 convicted, 23 acquitted for Gujarat riots massacre (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Amicus curiae report on Gulberg points at Modi, Congress attacks BJP (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Supreme Court pulls up Teesta Setalvad - Jan 20, 2011
- Gujarat riots probe team gives report to apex court - Apr 26, 2011
- 'Riot probe team chief accepted favours from Gujarat government' - Mar 15, 2011
- Zakia seeks copy of SIT report on Gujarat riots - Feb 09, 2012
- Advocate files contempt petition against Modi on Godhra remark - May 01, 2009
- Chidambaram backing 'delinquent' cops, says BJP - Aug 13, 2011
- Post-Godhra riots: Congress not to seek central rule even if Modi implicated - Aug 03, 2009
- Godhra riots : Supreme Court to hear SIT report on Modi - Aug 19, 2010
Tags: anand, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, campaign tour, chief minister, communal riots, gujarat, investigations, investigative team, jolt, l k advani, narendra modi, news conference, state officials, supreme court directive, three months