Will seek celebration of Netaji’s birthday as Deshprem Divas: NarayananJanuary 23rd, 2011 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 23 (IANS) With the West Bengal government observing Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose’s birth anniversary Sunday as ‘Deshprem Divas’, Governor M.K. Narayanan said he would write to the central government for celebrating the day as ‘Deshprem Divas’ across the country.”I hope that all recognise the importance of having the day known as Deshprem Divas. I will write to the centre,” Narayanan said at a function on the legendary freedom fighter’s 114th birth anniversary here.
“I hope the day will be celebrated across the nation as Deshprem Divas from his next birth anniversary,” the governor said at the programme held at Netaji Bhavan.
Three days after the state cabinet cleared the proposal Jan 20, the state government Sunday celebrated the day as Deshprem Divas with functions being held in all districts and schools.
However, speaking at the Netaji Bhavan programme, Krishna Bose - the widow of Netaji’s late nephew Sisir Kumar Bose - said the day should be celebrated as Desh Seva Divas. “Why not call it Desh Seva Divas? I am not making any appeal to the central or the state governments. I am only putting the issue before the people”.
Bose, a former Lok Sabha member, said the people should take a pledge to do a “little something” for the “other India” which is backward and impoverished.
- Netaji's birth anniversary celebrated across West Bengal - Jan 23, 2011
- Some of Mamata's policies identical to Left's: Forward Bloc - Jan 19, 2012
- Declare Netaji's birthday as 'Deshprem Divas': CPI-M - Jan 23, 2011
- Government's attitude on Netaji condemnable: Forward Bloc - Jan 22, 2012
- Amend booklet mentioning Netaji's death: Forward Bloc - Oct 16, 2011
- Political spats cloud Netaji birthday celebrations in Bengal (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- Mamata wishes Netaji a long life - Jan 23, 2012
- President Mukherjee begins four-day trip to Bengal - Sep 14, 2012
- Forward Bloc demands special observance of Netaji's birth anniversary - Nov 19, 2011
- Don't want intellectuals to support Maoists: Narayanan - Jan 23, 2011
- Netaji was scientist, environmentalist: Ramesh - Jan 23, 2012
- Mamata, governor differ on farm suicides (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- 'Left lost, but movement unbeaten in Bengal' - Nov 14, 2011
- Mamata unfurls tri-colour, sends sweets to prisoners - Aug 15, 2011
- Communists have no moral right to honour Netaji: Mamata - Jan 23, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,