Will quit if Team Anna allegations are proved: PM (Lead)May 29th, 2012 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
On Board Air India One, May 29 (IANS) A combative Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday threatened to “give up” his public career if there was any truth in the allegations hurled against him by Team Anna.
“I will give up my public career” if there is any truth in the allegations, Manmohan Singh said while speaking to reporters on board Air India One on his return home from a three-day visit to Myanmar.
Manmohan Singh said that the allegations should be verified.
“Aur agar usmen jara bhi sach nikalta hai to main - I will give up my public career and country can give me any punishment,” he asserted.
Speaking alternately in English and Hindi, Manmohan said: “Bharat ki janta is baat ka faisla kare ki kya kasoor kiya hai pradhan mantri ne jo ki itne kathin aur kathor shabd unke liye istemal kiye ja rahe hain (The people of India must decide whether the prime minister has committed any crime deserving such harsh words)”.
A visibly anguished prime minister lamented about “words which are being used without reason or rhyme”, adding: “I think the public in India should make up its mind whether this sort of politics should rule the roost in the country.”
Manmohan Singh also said that there have been reports based on leaked portions of a draft CAG document about the allocation of coal blocks.
“We have also received a letter on the same subject. The coal minister has given factual details in response to these allegations and the coal ministry has put all the information on its website.
“We have not yet received the CAG report,” he said, adding: “When we do, the government will submit its detailed factual response before the Public Accounts Committee as per constitutional procedures. Uninformed allegations and discussions based on leaked drafts are unfortunate.”
- What the PM said on Team Anna's allegations - May 29, 2012
- Will quit if Team Anna allegations are proved: Manmohan (Second Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Team Anna, opposition spew fire on 'coalgate'; CBI probes (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2012
- PM attacks CAG, BJP won't give up (Intro Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
- PM attacks CAG, BJP won't give up (Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
- PMO rejects Team Anna's 'loose' allegations against Manmohan - Jun 09, 2012
- CAG dismisses coal scam report, says no loss to exchequer (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
- CBI not to probe Manmohan in 'Coalgate' (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- PM should answer on CAG report: JMM - Mar 23, 2012
- PMO rejects allegations against Manmohan, Team Anna cries foul (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Team Anna hits out at PMO's rejection of allegations (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Kapil Sibbal defends PM on coal issue, says BJP spreading canard - Sep 08, 2012
- Table CAG report on coal in parliament: CPI-M - Mar 22, 2012
- CBI not to probe PM in 'coalgate' - Jun 01, 2012
- Jaiswal refutes charges on coal block allocations - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: air india, cag report, factual details, harsh words, itne, janta, kasoor, kiya, kiye, kya, manmohan, manmohan singh, mantri, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, public accounts committee, public career, rahe, shabd, unke