Will punish guilty, will prevent scams recurrence: UPA reportMay 23rd, 2011 - 1:14 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) Declaring that those guilty of corruption will be punished, the annual report of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Sunday said that the government will take “steps to prevent such developments in future”.
“We will punish those who are guilty through the due process of law. We will also take steps to prevent such developments in the future,” said the foreword of the report presented by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the second anniversary function of the UPA-II government here.
“We have initiated a number of measures to bring about systemic changes that would help in improving governance and curbing corruption, and we hope to see quick results of these efforts,” the report added.
“Many of these issues (scandals) have surfaced because of our system of institutional oversight and a free press and to that extent, reflect the strength of the system”.
“The year 2010 saw the conjunction of several developments related to the 2G spectrum, procurement and contracting issues related to the Commonwealth Games, and similar issues in the state governments,” the report said.
- Committed to take corrective action on corruption: PM - May 22, 2011
- Saddened by corruption, will initiate course correction: PM (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- PM promises 'exemplary punishment' for corrupt - May 22, 2012
- Scams trigger stormy start to parliament winter session (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- PM, Sonia focus on probity, action against corruption (Roundup) - May 23, 2011
- Three years of UPA-II: Not much to celebrate - May 22, 2012
- PM vows to cleanse politics of scourge of corruption - May 28, 2011
- Scams, price rise tarnish UPA-II image - May 22, 2011
- Opposition targets government over scams as session begins (Roundup) - Nov 09, 2010
- UPA-II high on economy, to combat Maoism, corruption (Night Lead) - May 22, 2012
- UPA firm on anti-graft steps: Sonia Gandhi - May 22, 2011
- Congress booklet counters Ramdev's black money claims - Jun 11, 2011
- 'UPA-II report card to rebuff policy paralysis criticism' - May 19, 2012
- Opposition to raise graft issues during winter session - Nov 08, 2010
- UPA-II showcases strong economy (Second Lead) - May 22, 2012
Tags: annual report, commonwealth games, conjunction, corruption, due process of law, free press, institutional oversight, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, procurement, progressive alliance, recurrence, scams, scandals, state governments, systemic changes, UPA