Will-Kate wedding: European royals receive warning faxJanuary 26th, 2011 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 26 (IANS) The British royal family has sent “warning” invitations for Prince William’s wedding to European royals by fax, asking them to keep April 29 - the wedding date - free of other engagements.Although traditional gold-embossed and handwritten invitations will be sent next month to over 1,800 guests by the Lord Chamberlain’s Office - responsible for organising all court functions - protocol says that sovereigns are given earlier warning than foreign heads of state and non-VIP guests.
According to senior aides, Buckingham Palace has faxed all European royals, asking them to keep April 29 free, the Daily Mail reported.
Palace courtiers said this was the most “efficient” way of passing on information about such “large-scale” events.
Some of the guests have already confirmed they would be at the Westminster Abbey ceremony.
King Constantine, the 70-year-old former sovereign of Greece, his wife Queen Anne-Marie, 64, and their eldest son Crown Prince Pavlov, 43, are to attend.
Constantine, who reigned from 1964 to 1973 when Greece was declared a republic and monarchy was abolished, is a godfather of William and a second cousin and close friend of Prince Charles.
Serbia’s Crown Prince Alexander, who is the queen’s godson, and his wife Crown Princess Katherine, released a statement on their website, saying: “Their royal highnesses are delighted to attend the marriage and are very happy for the young couple.”
The Romanian monarchy, led by 89-year-old former King Michael, a first cousin of Prince Philip, said they would also be among the guests.
Other royal houses, including Spain, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Belgium, are also expected to be invited.
- Queen's fax to guests: Keep April 29 free for Royal wedding - Jan 26, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth hosts diamond jubilee lunch - May 20, 2012
- Over 1,900 people invited to William's wedding - Feb 20, 2011
- Wills-Kate invite 1,900 guests to their royal wedding - Feb 20, 2011
- Guy Ritchie, Joss Stone invited for royal wedding - Apr 24, 2011
- Prince Harry is planning to host an after-party breakfast - Apr 25, 2011
- Brit royal wedding invitation to Bahrain's crown Prince draws criticism - Apr 24, 2011
- Royal Wedding tea towels to be officially manufactured - Jan 12, 2011
- Becks, Posh get an invitation to Prince William, Kate Middleton's wedding - Feb 21, 2011
- Russian diplomat wants Prince Harry to be Tsar of vacant throne - May 04, 2011
- Millions to celebrate 'People's Royal Wedding' on April 29! - Nov 24, 2010
- Dictators in royal wedding guest list invites rights activists' ire - Apr 25, 2011
- William breaks tradition, picks Harry as 'best man' rather than 'supporter' - Feb 15, 2011
- Kate Middleton's first lesson is learning when to curtsey to whom - May 02, 2011
- Wills, Kate to ask for charity donations instead of wedding gifts - Jan 16, 2011
Tags: british royal family, buckingham palace, court functions, crown prince alexander, crown princess, daily mail, first cousin, king constantine, lord chamberlain, norway sweden, prince charles, prince philip, princess katherine, romanian monarchy, second cousin, sweden denmark, traditional gold, vip guests, westminster abbey, wife queen