Will follow Sachar’s advice on minority welfare: MamataJuly 30th, 2011 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 30 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Saturday met Justice (retd) Rajinder Sachar and said her government will follow the suggestions of the former judge who earlier headed a committee for the development of Muslims in the country.
“Justice Sachar was here and we had a meeting for over an hour. We discussed matters and exchanged views regarding minority welfare. He has given us some suggestions which we will follow,” said Banerjee after the meeting.
“I am happy that we have been able to keep our commitment of seeking his advice. He (Sachar) expressed happiness over the work we have done so far for the progress of the minorities in the state,” she added.
Banerjeee also said that Sachar has asked her to keep a tab on the development projects relating to the minorities. “We have already launched e-governance and along with the data bank we will be able to gauge the progress of all our schemes on this front.”
The chief minister Saturday announced economic sops for the minority community, including Rs.82 crore as loans and Rs.122 crore in the form of stipends, scholarships and other payments. Under the Indira Aawas Yojna, 37,300 houses in the state and 5,000 houses in Kolkata will be constructed for them.
She also said 6,527 tube wells and 7,200 Aganwadis will be set up in minority dominated areas, besides 717 health centers and 39 Urdu medium schools. More than 7.5 lakh minority community students will be given scholarships and the number raised to over eight lakh from next year.
- Mamata announces sops for Muslims - Jul 30, 2011
- Mahesh Bhatt hails Mamata for minority welfare - Jul 15, 2012
- Is Mamata wooing Muslims with panchayat polls in mind? (West Bengal Newsletter) - May 06, 2012
- West Bengal to give stipend to new lawyers - Apr 02, 2012
- Job centres for minorities in every district: Mamata - Jan 10, 2012
- Ambitious plans for Muslims ahead of Tripura polls - Feb 29, 2012
- 'Over 95 lakh Muslim students benefited through scholarships' - Aug 23, 2012
- Mamata assures education and training for minorities - Dec 15, 2011
- No religion-based reservation, says Mamata - May 18, 2012
- Bengal to get Rs.21,614 crore financial package - Aug 06, 2011
- Mamata slams central government for non-cooperation - May 21, 2012
- Will probe Left's mass killings: Mamata - Feb 20, 2011
- Where will Bengal's Muslim votes go? - Apr 25, 2011
- Will review cases of all political prisoners: Mamata - May 20, 2011
- Over 40,000 scholarships provided to minority community - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: chief minister, community students, country justice, crore, development projects, e governance, health centers, indira, kolkata, mamata banerjee, minorities, minority community, minority welfare, muslims, rajinder, scholarships, sops, stipends, tube wells, west bengal