Will expose several ‘Madhu Kodas’ in Goa: BJPDecember 4th, 2009 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Dec 4 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Friday alleged that state support to illegal mining and corruption in Goa’s mining industry had reached “unacceptable levels” and vowed to expose “several Madhu Kodas” in the state, during the forthcoming assembly session.
Addressing a press conference here, Leader of Opposition in the assembly Manohar Parrikar said that the state government’s moves to carve out new mining leases measuring 600,000 sq mt in South Goa in face of public opposition, smacked of corruption and vested interests.
“Everyone from the collector to the talathi (mofussil revenue officer) is involved in manipulating documentation in order to create these new mining leases,” he alleged.
“During the assembly session, the BJP will expose the several Madhu Kodas in Goa who are ravaging and squeezing the state dry,” Parrikar said, referring to former Jharkand chief minister Madhu Koda who is at the centre of a Rs.2,500 crore scam involving kick backs from corporate mining houses to open up mining leases in Jharkhand.
Parrikar had earlier alleged that Koda had mining interests in Goa and was hand in glove with several of Goa’s top ranking politicians as far as illegal mining was concerned.
Mining for low grade iron ore and manganese is one of the principal industries in the state, fetching nearly Rs.6,000 crore revenue from exporting the ore to countries like China and Japan. The 100 mines in Goa export nearly 30 million tonnes of iron ore annually.
- Parrikar flip-flop: Says no illegal mining in Goa - Jul 16, 2012
- Parrikar's mining flip flop angers activists - Jul 17, 2012
- Congress demands auction of Goa iron ore mines - Aug 27, 2012
- Central government to blame for illegal mining: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Probe fresh mining clearances in Goa: BJP - Mar 27, 2010
- Vedanta Resources mines operated illegally in Goa: minister - Mar 17, 2011
- Goa may shut down nearly 10 illegal mines - Aug 06, 2012
- Ministry orders study on Goa's controversial mining - Aug 23, 2011
- Koda has mining interests in Goa, claims BJP - Nov 06, 2009
- Fate of 40 Goa mines to be decided Friday - Mar 03, 2011
- Auction iron ore from Goa, CM told - Sep 10, 2012
- CBI should probe illegal mining in Goa: BJP MP - Sep 19, 2010
- Our report to bare roots of Goa's illegal mining: BJP - Oct 30, 2011
- Google Earth helped track illegal mining in Goa - Oct 06, 2011
- Iron ore export eating away resources: Justice Shah - Sep 17, 2011
Tags: assembly session, bharatiya janata party, bjp, forthcoming assembly, grade iron, hand in glove, iron ore, kick backs, kodas, leader of opposition, madhu koda, manohar parrikar, mining leases, panaji, principal industries, public opposition, rs 6, south goa, sq mt, unacceptable levels