‘Will do everything for Darjeeling, no separate Darjeeling’October 11th, 2011 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
Darjeeling, Oct 11 (IANS) Asserting that her government is ready to do everything for uplifting Darjeeling’s people, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Tuesday clearly indicated that she did not favour the creation of separate Gorkhaland state.
“We will help you with each and every thing. We will help you with all our hearts. You people are our brothers and sisters. We are ready to sacrifice our lives for your development but we are not ready to leave Darjeeling,” said Banerjee at a tourism festival sitting beside pro-Gorkhaland GJM leaders.
GJM has, over the past three-and-a-half years, spearheaded the movement for a separate Gorkhaland to be carved out of parts of northern West Bengal, including the Darjeeling hills.
On July 18, a tripartite agreement was signed between the GJM and the state and central governments. At the core of the agreement is the formation of Gorkha Territorial Administration (GTA), armed with more powers as compared to its predecessor, the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council (DGHC) formed in the late 1980s.
“For the sake of development and peace of the hills, for the betterment of the youths of the hills, we have done the GTA agreement. The work has already started for GTA. After that there will be a election for the formation of GTA. For the election of GTA, the work for delimitation has also started,” said Banerjee.
“Please believe me… I want to work for your development and progress. I have visited north Bengal three times after coming to power,” said Banerjee who is on a three-day visit to the area.
She announced that a Lepcha development community will be constituted under the backward development community
“We will also constitute a Lepcha development council under backward classes. Its office will be come up in Darjeeling only,” she said.
Banerjee also expressed concerns for the quake victims in Darjeeling and said that northeast and north Bengal should be treated similarly as both the areas have same topography and geography.
“We will help the people of the hills who are suffering the relief camps due to this earthquake. We will help them. I have requested the national disaster team which have just come from Sikkim to give same importance to north Bengal as it is to northeast because the geography and topography of both the areas are same,” she said.
“I will pursue the matter with the prime minister so that the people of the hills gets ninety percent subsidy for development as other hilly regions get. A cost of making a house in hills is much more than making a house in hills,” she said.
In a bid to woo the masses of Darjeeling, Banerjee announced various projects for the development of both social and economic conditions of the hills. Several projects will be taken up in close coordination with the GTA.
“We will recruit Darjeeling youths in state police force. We are also preparing master plan for tourism in Darjeeling. Renovations for Darjeeling Gymkhana club and other clubs will be done,” she said.
Banerjee also announced setting up of two international research centers in after the name of Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore and Bhanu Bhagat.
“We will also organise Tea tourism festival here in Darjeeling from December 30 to January 20. We will organise a orange festival in Darjeeling. We will give three crore rupees for the upgradation of Lebong stadium,” she said.
- Can sacrifice our lives, but won't part with Darjeeling: Mamata Roundup) - Oct 12, 2011
- Ahead of meet with GJM, Mamata rejects Bengal's division (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- GTA members sworn in; Shinde, Mamata assure support - Aug 04, 2012
- Divide Darjeeling into two districts: GJM - Aug 03, 2011
- Mamata blames centre for delay on Gorkha autonomy (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- GJM to take part in GTA polls, Mamata happy (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Darjeeling pact signed amid euphoria and protests (Roundup) - Jul 18, 2011
- Decision on territorial polls Saturday, says GJM - Jun 28, 2012
- GJM to take part in GTA polls - Jun 30, 2012
- Mamata blames centre for delay on Gorkha autonomy - Feb 11, 2012
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Mamata withdraws Trinamool candidates from GTA polls - Jul 21, 2012
- Darjeeling should be declared backward region: GJM - Dec 24, 2011
- Mamata rejects tribal outfit's autonomy demand - Oct 13, 2011
- CPI-M accuses Mamata of political dishonesty - Oct 15, 2011
Tags: 1980s, betterment, brothers and sisters, central governments, chief minister, darjeeling hills, delimitation, development and peace, favour, gjm, half years, mamata banerjee, north bengal, oct 11, predecessor, quake victims, territorial administration, three times, tripartite agreement, west bengal