Why is Sonia silent on Karunanidhi’s LTTE remark: JayalalithaApril 20th, 2009 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
Madurai, April 20 (IANS) AIADMK boss J. Jayalalitha Monday attacked Congress president Sonia Gandhi for her silence on Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi’s open support for the outlawed Tamil Tigers, which was behind the assassination of her husband in 1991.
Speaking to CNN IBN news channel, the former Tamil Nadu chief minister asked how Sonia Gandhi could remain silent on the matter - as widow of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi, as Congress party president and as United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chief.
“Why is it that Sonia Gandhi is keeping silent? Is she not the Congress president, is she not the widow of Rajiv Gandhi, is she not the chairperson of the UPA? She should come out with clear explicit answer on these questions, and she should tell the nation what she feels about it as Mr. Karunanidhi has made the statement. And she should also tell the nation what she proposes to do about it as the president of Congress and chairperson of UPA.”
Jayalalitha was reacting to Karunaidhi telling NDTV Sunday that he would “deeply regret it (if LTTE chief Prabhakaran is killed)”. “I will regret it. I will say it happened because of a lack of unity among the Tamil groups in Sri Lanka,” he told the channel.
Asked if he saw Prabhakaran as a terrorist, Karunanidhi said: “No, I don’t. Some people in Prabhakaran’s group might be involved in terrorism. But that is not Prabhakaran’s fault.”
“Prabhakaran is a good friend, and I am not a terrorist.”
However, he changed his stance Monday after his remarks triggered a political storm.
He said that the LTTE “did not start off as a terrorist group. They began as a liberation group but it has now become a terrorist organisation”, Times Now TV quoted him as saying.
Karunanidhi also insisted that the people had not forgotten Sriperumbudur - the small town near Chennai where a LTTE suicide bomber assassinated former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi at an election rally in May 1991.
- Release Rajiv Gandhi killers, appeals Karunanidhi - Oct 06, 2011
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- 1,000 Youth Congress activists to fast against Tamil Nadu assembly resolution - Sep 05, 2011
- Did not discuss filling up cabinet posts: Karunanidhi - Oct 26, 2011
- May 21, 1991: The assassination that also killed Tamil Eelam (Comment) - May 22, 2011
- Spare Rajiv assassins' lives: Karunanidhi to Sonia - Aug 27, 2011
- Woman torches herself to save Rajiv killers - Aug 28, 2011
- Don't politicise Rajiv Gandhi's assassination: Congress - May 24, 2011
- Tamil Nadu Congress chief wants Rajiv killers hanged - Aug 27, 2011
- Spare my son, don't hang him, pleads father - Aug 29, 2011
- Tamil Nadu rejects Nalini's plea for release (Lead) - Mar 29, 2010
- Sparks fly in Tamil Nadu over Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Apr 20, 2009
- Karunanidhi now says LTTE is terror group - Apr 20, 2009
- Tamil Nadu rejects Nalini's plea for release (Second Lead) - Mar 29, 2010
- Rajiv assassination: Kin of other victims fast for speedy hanging - Sep 09, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, cnn, cnn ibn, cnn ibn news, cnn ibn news channel, congress party president, congress president sonia gandhi, election rally, explicit answer, former prime minister, ltte suicide bomber, m karunanidhi, mr karunanidhi, ndtv, political storm, prabhakaran, rajiv gandhi, tamil groups, tamil nadu, tamil tigers