Whistleblowers bill likely to come in Rajya Sabha TuesdayAugust 13th, 2012 - 8:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 13 (IANS) The whistleblowers protection bill is likely to be introduced in the Rajya Sabha Tuesday, government sources said Monday.
The legislation, which is one of the important anti-corruption bills, was passed in Lok Sabha during winter session along with the Lokpal bill.
Even as the Lokpal bill went to a select committee, the government tried to introduce the Public Interest Disclosure and Protection to Persons Making the Disclosure Bill, commonly known as the whistleblowers bill in the upper house during the budget session.
However, the introduction had to be deferred with opposition members seeking more time to study the bill and suggest amendments.
Noting the bill was likely to be brought Tuesday, the sources said Minister of State in Prime Minister’s Office V. Narayanasamy also talked to Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley to build an agreement for introducing the bill.
It was, however, not listed in Tuesday’s official list of business till 6 p.m.
The whistleblowers protection bill seeks to protect whistleblowers, i.e. persons making a public interest disclosure related to an act of corruption, misuse of power, or criminal offence by a public servant.
The opposition has, however, expressed concern that since the bill protects all government servants, someone might misuse it to leak information about the security forces.
- Whistle Blowers bill introduced in Rajya Sabha - Aug 14, 2012
- Government cornered in Rajya Sabha, defers 2 bills - Mar 29, 2012
- Whistle-blowers bill passed by Lok Sabha - Dec 28, 2011
- Rajya Sabha members want stronger measures against graft - Aug 25, 2011
- Bansal appeals to Lok Sabha to pass Lokpal bill - Dec 26, 2011
- Government unveils bill for time-bound public services - Nov 02, 2011
- Important bills for budget session (With Coalition hiccups come to the fore in parliament) - Apr 01, 2012
- Lokpal bill in parliament Thursday, Sonia says she will fight for it (Roundup) - Dec 21, 2011
- Lokpal bill goes to committee, Anna announces another agitation (Roundup) - May 21, 2012
- Activists' imprint on whistle-blower protection act? - Aug 11, 2011
- Government to face opposition heat on Assam violence, power outages (Curtain raiser) - Aug 06, 2012
- 'PM, Group C employees may be brought under Lokpal ambit' - Dec 12, 2011
- Lokpal bill sent to select committee of Rajya Sabha (Second Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Lokpal bill listed to be tabled Monday - May 21, 2012
- Lokpal bill in Rajya Sabha Thursday (Third Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: amendments, budget session, corruption, criminal offence, disclosure bill, government servants, government sources, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, minister of state, misuse of power, New Delhi, opposition members, public interest, public servant, rajya sabha, security forces, select committee, upper house, winter session