When Sonia shook a leg with tribal dancersDecember 16th, 2011 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 16 (IANS) It’s not often that one sees Sonia Gandhi let herself go, but at the Mahila Congress convention here, the Congress president did exactly that when she matched steps with tribal dancers.
Gandhi, who inaugurated the convention on ‘Empowerment to Tribal Women’, mingled with the delegates who had come from different tribal regions of the country.
As the tribal women, attired in their tradition gears, came to the podium for a dance performance, Gandhi briefly came down and joined them.
Special Protection Group personnel, who followed Gandhi, had a hard time as the seemingly excited women tried to shake hands with the Congress president.
Gandhi happily accepted their greetings and gifts and joined them for a few dance steps.
The Mahila Congress leaders on the stage watched smilingly as Gandhi’s presence among women delegates sent a wave of excitement at the gathering. Some of the workers even captured Gandhi’s impromptu jig on their mobile phones.
The convention went ahead with speeches from union ministers after Gandhi left the venue.
- Development answer to left-wing extremism: Sonia Gandhi (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Sonia shies away from tribal dance rerun - Dec 17, 2011
- Development is answer to Left extremism, says Sonia - Dec 16, 2011
- Development is answer to left-wing extremism: Sonia (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Development is answer to left-wing extremism: Sonia (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Rahul mingles with people, conducts road show - Sep 06, 2010
- Hard for singers to sell individual work: Neha Bhasin - Jul 28, 2012
- 'Dance India Dance' team conducts flash mobs in capital - Dec 24, 2011
- Bhangra and folk too - Michelle vows Indian audiences - Nov 07, 2010
- Chronicling a South African dancer's journey post-apartheid - Aug 05, 2010
- Salman 'ready' for cameo in 'Taarak Mehta...' (With Images) - May 23, 2011
- IPL rides high on glamour quotient at fifth season's opener (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Rahul wants more women in politics - Sep 17, 2010
- Obama answers some 'tough questions', swings through Mumbai (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2010
- Amid Afpak talk and more, Obamas swing their way through Mumbai (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
Tags: congress leaders, congress president, dance performance, dance steps, delegates, empowerment, excitement, gears, hard time, jig, mahila, mobile phones, New Delhi, podium, sonia gandhi, special protection group, speeches, tribal dancers, tribal women, union ministers