West Pakistan refugee enters fray in Jammu and KashmirMarch 28th, 2009 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, March 28 (IANS) A Pakistani refugee will be contesting Lok Sabha elections as an independent candidate in Jammu and Kashmir, a first in the post-Independence history of the state.
Labba Ram, chairman of West Pakistan Refugees Action Committee, filed his nominations for Jammu-Poonch parliamentary seat Saturday.
Hindu refugees from West Pakistan, settled in Jammu, have a right to vote in the parliamentary polls. But they have no franchise for the assembly, municipal or Panchayat polls because they are not considered the state subjects of Jammu and Kashmir.
They have no citizenship rights in the state despite being citizens of India.
“We have been buried under pile of miseries and that’s why we have decided to raise our voice in parliament now,” said Ram.
“No party has honoured its commitment towards us. We are still homeless, landless and without jobs and education.”
“I am sure all those who believe in the sense of justice would vote for me,” he said.
- Jammu, the refugee city of India (Part-I) - May 03, 2011
- 65 years on, these refugees still stateless in Jammu and Kashmir - Jul 26, 2012
- Phase 12 of panchayat polls ends in Jammu and Kashmir - May 29, 2011
- Package for pandits irk migrants from Jammu hills - Jun 21, 2012
- PPP headed for majority in Pakistani Kashmir polls - Jun 27, 2011
- Two killed in Pakistani Kashmir polling (Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 26, 2011
- Heavy military presence for Pakistani Kashmir polls (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- Kashmir problem can't be resolved without settling 1947 migrants: Padgaonkar - Feb 23, 2011
- Elderly more active in voting then young in Jammu (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Reap the democratic dividend in Kashmir - Apr 30, 2011
- Third phase of panchayat polls begins in Kashmir - Apr 21, 2011
- Kashmir Congress elated as panchayat candidates win - May 18, 2011
- High voting in Kashmir polls victory of peace: Soz - Apr 24, 2011
- Panchayat elections not a referendum on Kashmir issue: Omar - Apr 14, 2011
- Fifth phase of panchayat polls begin in Kashmir - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: action committee, citizens, citizenship rights, education, franchise, hindu, independent candidate, India, jammu and kashmir, jobs, kashmir, landless, lok sabha elections, miseries, parliament, parliamentary polls, parliamentary seat, refugee, refugees, west pakistan