West Bengal’s tribal body to boycott pollsApril 1st, 2009 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
Siliguri, April 1 (IANS) Akhil Bharatiya Adivashi Vikash Parishad (ABAVP), a tribal body in West Bengal’s northern hills, Wednesday announced that they will boycott the Lok Sabha elections in the Terai-Dooars region of the state.
“We had given a memorandum to the Jalpaiguri administration over a month back, asking for a separate constituency at Terai-Dooars to be reserved for Scheduled Tribes,” John Barla, ABAVP’s Terai and Dooars co-ordination committee president, said here.
“There were a couple of other demands like the proposed East-West corridor should pass through this region,” said Barla.
“The ABAVP gave the administration an ultimatum till March 31. Since we didn’t get any response from them on the demands, we in a party meeting today (Wednesday) decided not to cast our votes. In fact, all the tribals of Terai and Dooars will boycott the polls,” he said.
Barla said about 60 percent of the total population of Terai-Dooars are tribals.
- Shutdown in Bengal's Terai, Dooars evokes mixed response - Apr 23, 2012
- Violent clashes, arson mark shutdown in Bengal's Terai, Dooars (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- GJM boycotts Mamata meets in Darjeeling - Apr 22, 2012
- GJM to boycott Mamata meets in Darjeeling (Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- CPI-M to Mamata: Can't evade responsibility on Terai, Doars row - Apr 23, 2012
- Mamata rejects tribal outfit's autonomy demand - Oct 13, 2011
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Plea to rename Gorkha council, include tribal areas - Oct 30, 2011
- Tribal outfit undecided on supporting creation of separate Gorkha state - Jul 12, 2010
- West Bengal tribals call for 12-hour strike over development demands - Dec 29, 2010
- Mamata clarifies on future of Terai, Dooars region - Oct 13, 2011
- Left Front blames Mamata government for Terai-Dooars violence - Apr 26, 2012
- Adivasi front divided on inclusion in Gorkha autonomous council - Nov 01, 2011
- Darjeeling gearing up for assembly polls - Mar 26, 2011