West Bengal to organise Tagore anniversaryMay 21st, 2011 - 12:32 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 20 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Friday announced that her government would organise Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore’s 150th birth anniversary celebrations jointly with the Bangladesh government.
“We will hold celebrations centering Baishe Sravan (Tagore’s death anniversary as per Bengali calendar, which falls Aug 8 this year). We will talk to the Bangladesh government,” Banerjee said.
Ahead of that day, various programmes will be organised at the block, district and state levels.
“Towards the end of the year, we will hold the international Banga Sanskriti Utsab,” the chief minister said.
Banerjee said a committee for celebrating Swami Vivekananda’s 150th birth anniversary will also be formed.
She also said she would expand and strengthen the chief minister’s secretariat.
“A mini CM secretariat will be set up in north Bengal. The people of north Bengal should not feel they are being neglected,” said Banejee, who assumed office earlier Friday.
The chief minister has also asked Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh to form an expert committee on preventing floods and carrying out water harvesting in a big way.
The committee has been asked to give its report in a month.
The government has accorded priority to boosting the health infrastructure.
“We also want to improve quality in education and make it impartial,” she said.
- Of legends and stars: Mamata, Hillary discuss Tagore, SRK - May 07, 2012
- Mamata declares holiday on Tagore's death anniversary - Jul 29, 2011
- India, Bangladesh pledge closer ties at close of Tagore anniversary - May 07, 2012
- India on World Heritage Committee for 4 years - Nov 11, 2011
- India, Bangladesh announce joint Tagore celebrations - Apr 07, 2011
- Exhibition train to go on cultural exchange programme to Bangladesh - Feb 25, 2011
- Lata ushers in Tagore anniversary tribute - Aug 07, 2011
- 'Sanskriti' Express to mark 150th birth Anniversary of Tagore - Feb 24, 2010
- Sanskriti Express flagged off from Howrah - May 09, 2010
- Tagore's works among Mamata's gifts for Hillary - May 06, 2012
- Tagore's birth anniversary celebrated across Bengal - May 08, 2012
- Bengal pays homage to Tagore, Mamata hums poet's songs - Aug 08, 2011
- Bengal pays tributes to Tagore, Mamata hums poet's songs (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Indo-Bangla celebrations to mark Tagore's 150th birth anniversary - Apr 07, 2012
- Mamata plans international Rabindranath Tagore Complex - Jul 16, 2011
Tags: anniversary celebrations, bangladesh government, bengali calendar, birth anniversary, chief minister, chief secretary, death anniversary, expert committee, floods, health infrastructure, mamata banerjee, nobel laureate, north bengal, rabindranath tagore, samar, sanskriti, secretariat, swami, water harvesting, west bengal