West Bengal slides in list of investment-friendly statesFebruary 22nd, 2009 - 12:01 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 22 (IANS) Post Nandigram and Singur fiascos, West Bengal slipped to 13th position in 2008 from fourth in the previous year among India’s major investment-centric states, according to a paper brought out by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (Assocham).
The paper highlights that the state received robust investment announcements worth Rs.2,434.89 billion in calendar year 2007, which fell to a meagre Rs.900.95 billion last year.
The paper, West Bengal - The Investment Destination 2009, has been released here by Assocham secretary general D.S. Rawat, who said the state slid by a whopping 63 percent in calendar 2008 as compared to 2007 in terms of expression of investment plans by India Inc.
According to Rawat, widespread protests against land acquisition for industry in Nandigram and Singur are entirely responsible for the state’s decline as an attractive investment destination.
“The effects of economic slowdown, credit crunch along with the Singur saga also spelled trouble for the region in drawing investors as infrastructure developments got delayed,” he said.
- Investors apprehensive of Bengal's policies: Assocham - Aug 22, 2012
- Assocham for state's role in land acquisition for industry - Oct 09, 2011
- Bengal should set up nuclear plants, SEZs: Assocham - Nov 07, 2011
- Reforms coming too slowly in Bengal: Investors (One year of Mamata Banerjee) - May 14, 2012
- Assocham-UNIDO deal for two agro-clusters in Bengal - Oct 09, 2011
- Capital flow to West Bengal on despite Singur, Nandigram: Minister - Jan 06, 2010
- State need only be facilitator in land takeover: Assocham - Jan 05, 2010
- 'Indian medical industry to be worth Rs.10,800 crore by 2015' - Aug 05, 2011
- Punjab's business clusters to create 5 lakh jobs - Dec 05, 2010
- Land acquisition only after consensus: Buddhadeb - Mar 23, 2011
- Assocham's development blueprint for Jharkhand - Oct 22, 2010
- Government now careful while acquiring land: Buddhadeb - Jan 04, 2011
- No more forced land acquisition, says Buddhadeb - Mar 27, 2011
- Kerala leads in growth rate in investment projects: Assocham - Jun 20, 2012
- Assocham sees cheerful growth for foreign liquor - Jul 04, 2012
Tags: assocham, attractive investment, calendar 2008, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, credit crunch, economic slowdown, fiascos, india inc, industry of india, infrastructure developments, investment destination, investment plans, land acquisition, meagre, nandigram, previous year, rawat, singur, west bengal