West Bengal should withdraw power tariff hike: CongressJuly 10th, 2012 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 10 (IANS) West Bengal Congress Tuesday demanded a roll back of the “steep hike” in electricity tariffs in the state and threatened to launch an agitation.
“The powers tariffs have been increased steeply. It is affecting the masses. This hike in power tariffs should be immediately withdrawn. We have decided to launch an agitation against this unjustified hike in power tariffs,” state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya told a media meet here.
Bhahttacharya also took pot shots at state Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for unnecessarily increasing the power tariffs.
“A few months back she had protested against a two paisa hike in railway fares. Now her government is increasing power tariffs. This is unjustified. It should be immediately withdrawn,” Bhattacharya said.
Former railway minister and Trinamool parliamentarian Dinesh Trivedi lost his job after he annoyed Banerjee by increasing the railway fares, which was against the Trinamool’s party line.
- Bengal lacks democratic atmosphere, violence still on: Congress - Jul 16, 2012
- Fare hike has to be withdrawn: Mamata - Mar 14, 2012
- Didi's diktat: Toe the party line or face the music - Mar 15, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi sends resignation to PM - Mar 15, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi speaks to Mamata, to quit (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi will be told when to go: Trinamool - Mar 15, 2012
- Trivedi proposes, but his own Trinamool opposes - Mar 14, 2012
- Trinamool demands fare hike roll-back, hints at Congress hand (Third Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Railways have worsened under Trinamool: Congress MP - Jul 30, 2012
- Rollback of fares is PM's prerogative: Mamata - Mar 19, 2012
- Rail budget lacks fund-generation ideas: Left - Mar 14, 2012
- Why is Mukul Roy absent from cabinet meetings, asks Congress - Sep 14, 2012
- Trivedi's rail fare hike reasonable, say economists - Mar 15, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi speaks to Mamata, to quit (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Trinamool's Trivedi compares himself to Tharoor - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: agitation, banerjee, bhattacharya, chief minister, congress president, electricity tariffs, job, kolkata, paisa, parliamentarian, pot shots, power tariff hike, pradip, railway fares, railway minister, state congress, steep hike, west bengal