West Bengal celebrates Independence DayAugust 15th, 2008 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 15 (IANS) West Bengal celebrated India’s Independence Day Friday with great enthusiasm, with Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee hoisting the tricolour here. He also garlanded the statue of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose at the secretariat.
The national flag flew at most places in the city. Cultural programmes were held in schools and colleges and in various localities.
Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee hoisted the national flag at Jatin Das Park in south Kolkata at midnight.
- Netaji's birth anniversary celebrated across West Bengal - Jan 23, 2011
- Mamata lets Left garland Netaji statue first - Jan 23, 2012
- Buddhadeb unfurls tri-colour as West Bengal celebrates I-Day - Aug 15, 2009
- Communists have no moral right to honour Netaji: Mamata - Jan 23, 2012
- Some of Mamata's policies identical to Left's: Forward Bloc - Jan 19, 2012
- Political spats cloud Netaji birthday celebrations in Bengal (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- Presidency mentor group submits recommendations - Aug 25, 2011
- Mamata unfurls tri-colour, sends sweets to prisoners - Aug 15, 2011
- Presidency varsity mentor group meets Mamata (Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- Thousands throng to see Banerjee walk to Writers' Building - May 20, 2011
- Mamata wishes Netaji a long life - Jan 23, 2012
- Amartya Sen to be chief mentor of Presidency University - Jun 04, 2011
- Doubting Netaji's patriotism was a mistake: Buddhadeb - Jan 24, 2010
- Left crosses sword with Mamata on Netaji celebration - Jan 22, 2012
- Hillary Clinton arrives in Kolkata (Lead) - May 06, 2012
Tags: chief minister, colleges, congress leader, independence day, India, jatin das, localities, mamata banerjee, national flag, netaji subhas chandra bose, secretariat, subhas chandra bose, tricolour, west bengal