We Indians have a habit of complaining: PriyankaApril 28th, 2009 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Rae Bareli, April 28 (IANS) Indians have a habit of complaining instead of striving for a better future, Priyanka Gandhi, the daughter of Congress president Sonia Gandhi, observed Tuesday.
“Hamari aadat hai shikayat karne ki, meri bhi hai (We have a habit of complaining… it is my habit also),” she said at a public meeting while campaigning for her mother in Rae Bareli constituency.
“But we only prefer to complain and avoid taking the initiative for a better future,” she added.
Priyanka also expressed concern over low turn out of voters, specially in the urban areas.
“Those living in the urban areas are considered to be more educated and aware than the rural population. But it is a bitter fact, not only in Amethi or Rae Bareli, but across the country that voting percentage is lowest in urban areas,” she said.
Priyanka advised people not to enjoy the polling day as a holiday because if they did not exercise their basic right, they could never bring about change. She appealed to them to go out and vote, not necessarily for her mother or the Congress but for whoever they wanted so long as they voted.
“It is the voter who has the power to bring a change. Neither a party nor a politician has this power,” she said, speaking in an urban area of the constituency.
Priyanka also divided politics and politicians into two categories.
“One believes in politics of development and equality. The other depends upon communalism, hatred and divide and rule. You have to decide the path that leads to a better future for you and your children,” she said.
Priyanka asserted that Rae Bareli should send a positive signal to the entire nation that the region does not want politics based on religion and caste but has opted for development and equality.
- Vote for change, Priyanka Gandhi urges UP voters - Feb 03, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, slam Mayawati (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, flay Mayawati (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Sonia announces several schemes for Rae Bareli - Jul 27, 2012
- Rahul not working for his reputation in UP: Priyanka - Feb 05, 2012
- Priyanka open to campaigning, 'anything to help' Rahul - Jan 17, 2012
- Priyanka returns to campaign in Amethi - Jan 16, 2012
- Should I join politics, Priyanka asks rival parties - Feb 05, 2012
- Priyanka hopes for early resolve to Khurshid row - Feb 13, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli - Feb 14, 2012
- Huge support for Jan Lokpal bill in Sonia's constituency - Nov 05, 2011
- Elections 2012: UP poll battle begins Wednesday - Feb 06, 2012
- Priyanka returns to campaign in Amethi (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Nominations for fourth phase begin in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 25, 2012
- Election results a huge blow for Rahul, Congress (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: aadat, amethi, better future, bhi, campaigning, caste, congress president sonia gandhi, constituency, equality, habit, hamari, hatred, indians, karne, politician, politicians, polling day, rae bareli, urban area, urban areas