We have not rejected any name: Samajwadi PartyJune 14th, 2012 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 14 (IANS) Samajwadi Party (SP) Thursday said it has not rejected any name for the post of president and consultations were on.
“We have not rejected any name. Consultation is going on and we have to have a consensus on one name because there can be only one president,” Samajwadi Party leader Shahid Siddiqui told a news channel.
Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, after meeting Congress president Sonia Gandhi Wednesday evening, had revealed that Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee was the first choice of the Congress for the presidency and Vice President Hamid Ansari was the second.
Banerjee and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav later met Wednesday evening and stunned everyone by announcing three new names, of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam and former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee as their choices for the presidency.
Trinamool MP Kunal Ghosh Thursday said there would be a contest if the Congress goes ahead with the name of Mukherjee.
“Today, I can visualize a contest if Congress goes ahead with either Pranab babu or Hamid Ansari. Mamata Banerjee, our chief, and Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh, they may go with A.P.J. Abdul Kalam,” Ghosh told a news channel.
–Indo-Asian news Service
- Contest imminent if Congress goes ahead with Pranab: Trinamool - Jun 14, 2012
- Had no other option but support Pranab: SP - Jun 16, 2012
- Manmohan, Kalam or Somnath for president: SP, Trinamool (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Game not over yet, won't say anything about Mulayam: Mamata (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Sonia meets Congress leaders, DMK (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- We will support Congress choice for president: Lalu Prasad - Jun 14, 2012
- Congress leader denies contacting Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- Bengal Congress lashes out at Mamata for rejecting Pranab - Jun 14, 2012
- Mamata sends 'advance congratulations' to Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- Kalam should not contest presidential poll: Somnath - Jun 16, 2012
- Didn't behove of Mamata to suggest Manmohan's name: Congress - Jun 14, 2012
- India's next president: still mired in uncertainty (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2012
- We can't spare Manmohan Singh, says Congress (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Trinamool calls Mulayam a 'traitor', hopes for consensus on Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- UPA playing checkmate game on presidential choice: BJP - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, asian news, babu, congress president sonia gandhi, finance minister, ghosh, kunal, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, party chief, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, shahid, siddiqui, somnath chatterjee, trinamool congress, wednesday evening