We have not quit, BJP legislators tell Jammu and Kashmir speakerApril 22nd, 2011 - 11:37 am ICT by IANS
Jammu, April 22 (IANS) Five of the seven BJP legislators involved in cross-voting in the legislative council elections in Jammu and Kashmir have written to the assembly speaker, saying that their resignation letters should be considered withdrawn.
Seven of the 11 legislators of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had voted for the ruling National Conference and Congress alliance instead of their own party candidate.
A day after the incident of cross-voting, the party had sought and got the resignation letters of all the 11 party legislators.
Five of them Thursday evening approached the speaker with a plea that their resignation letters should be deemed as “withdrawn”.
Sources in the assembly secretariat confirmed to IANS Friday morning that the speaker had received the request from five legislators, but there was no letter from BJP high command so far.
Two of seven legislators - former leader of the BJP legislature party Chaman Lal Gupta and legislator from Ranbir Singh Pora constituency Gharu Ram - however, have neither approached the speaker nor the assembly secretariat.
All the 11 legislators involved in cross-voting were summoned to Delhi Tuesday.
On Wednesday, seven of them — Chama Lal Gupta, Gharu Ram, Durga Dass, Jagdish Sapolia, Bharat Bhushan, Lal Chand, Baldev Raj — were suspended from the primary membership of the party.
Four others — Jugal Kishore Sharma, Ashok Khajuria, Sham Choudhary and Sukhnandan Choudhary — were given a clean chit.
- BJP disqualifies six MLAs for cross-voting - Nov 18, 2011
- War erupts in Kashmir's BJP unit - May 31, 2011
- BJP expels Jammu and Kashmir leader Chaman Lal Gupta (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir BJP legislator opposes action against him - May 08, 2011
- Kashmir's suspended BJP legislators may form own group - May 21, 2011
- BJP issues disqualification notice to seven Kashmir legislators - May 24, 2011
- BJP expels Jammu and Kashmir leader Chaman Lal Gupta - Jun 01, 2011
- Kashmir's suspended BJP legislators defy leadership - May 19, 2011
- Expelled Jammu and Kashmir legislators to support Sangma - Jul 15, 2012
- 'Cancel assembly memberships of expelled BJP legislators' - Feb 19, 2012
- BJP summons its Kashmir legislators (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2011
- BJP expels six Jammu and Kashmir legislators - Oct 09, 2011
- BJP asks Kashmir legislators to resign (Lead) - Apr 15, 2011
- Did not buy BJP votes in council poll, says Omar - Apr 16, 2011
- Congress nominee loses in Karnataka council poll - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: ashok, assembly speaker, baldev, bharat bhushan, bharatiya janata party, chaman, clean chit, congress alliance, durga, gupta, jagdish, jammu and kashmir, lal chand, legislative council elections, legislator, legislators, party candidate, pora, ranbir singh, resignation letters