We have a missile crisis, Mrs ObamaOctober 15th, 2011 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 15 (IANS) A British warship was under tremendous tension when it was accused of targeting US President Barack Obama’s wife Michelle, a media report said Saturday.
The US Secret Service reacted furiously when they noticed the missiles on HMS Edinburgh were aiming directly at her hotel suite in South Africa.
The agents complained and one told the British crew: “You can’t point those guns at the First Lady.”
The Royal Navy warship was docked alongside Michelle Obama’s exclusive Cape Town hotel as she embarked on her first major overseas tour in June without her husband Barack since he became the president, the Daily Express reported.
Red-faced British officers were forced to reassure her security detail that the Type 42 destroyer was only carrying blank rockets, known as “drills” and explain that the weapons were on show for ceremonial reasons following the death of an officer, according to the newspaper.
Ex-Royal Navy officer Mike Critchley, publisher of Warship World magazine, said: “This is typical American Secret Service going over the top. I would have thought that they could trust their British allies to not put a missile through the bedroom window of the First Lady.”
Michelle Obama was accompanied by her mother Marian Robinson and daughters Malia, 13, and Sasha, 10, for the visit to South Africa and Botswana in June.
Among the highlights of the tour were meetings with former leader Nelson Mandela and Bishop Desmond Tutu.
The diplomatic hitch came when she was staying at the five-star Table Bay hotel in Cape Town’s exclusive waterfront district.
- Dalai Lama to meet Tutu - from a distance - Oct 07, 2011
- Woman to run warship for first time in Britain - Aug 08, 2011
- South Africa found it inconvenient to grant visa: Dalai Lama (Lead) - Oct 07, 2011
- British woman becomes first warship commander - May 22, 2012
- David Beckham pops in for tea with Desmond Tutu - Jun 18, 2010
- Michelle Obama arrives in South Africa - Jun 21, 2011
- Britain to deploy warship in South Atlantic - Feb 01, 2012
- Michelle Obama to visit South Africa, Botswana - Jun 04, 2011
- Officer dies in British n-submbarine shooting - Apr 09, 2011
- Indian warships visit China after six years - Jun 14, 2012
- Obama remembers Donna Summer - May 20, 2012
- My mum still does her own laundry, says Michelle Obama - Apr 22, 2011
- Woody Allen wants Michelle Obama for movie - Oct 09, 2011
- HMS Invincible may become a Chinese disco - Jan 08, 2011
- Britain draws up battle plan against Iran - Feb 26, 2012
Tags: barack obama, british allies, british crew, british warship, cape town hotel, ceremonial reasons, desmond tutu, hms edinburgh, hotel in cape town, michelle obama, mike critchley, missile crisis, mother marian, navy officer, navy warship, nelson mandela, star table, table bay hotel, type 42 destroyer, us secret service