Wasn’t going to the US by truck: ChidambaramJanuary 9th, 2009 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 9 (IANS) “I was not going (to the US) by truck,” Home Minister P. Chidambaram remarked jocularly Friday when asked whether an ongoing transporters’ strike had prompted him to cancel a planned visit to Washington.”Sir, when are you going to Washington (to present evidence that elements from Pakistan were involved in the Mumbai terror attacks)?” he was asked at a press conference here after a cabinet meeting presided over by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Chidambaram looked down and remained silent but the questioner was persistent. “Sir, has the truckers strike forced you to postpone your visit?”
The home minister looked up, smiled and said: “I was not going by truck.”
He also said that “balancing everything” it had been decided that there was no need for him to travel to the US with the dossier Indian investigators have put together on the Mumbai mayhem that India says was staged by the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba terror group.
“Since the decision (on his visiting the US), other issues have arisen. Pakistan has admitted Kasab’s nationality. There have been other things. Balancing everything, it was decided three days ago that I stay back,” Chidambaram explained.
Ajmal Amir Kasab was the lone terrorist arrested during the Nov 26-29, 2008 Mumbai carnage that claimed the lives of more than 170 people, including 26 foreigners.