V.P. Singh’s death loss for national polity: BasuNovember 28th, 2008 - 12:06 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 27 (IANS) Condoling former prime minister Vishwanath Pratap Singh’s death, veteran Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Jyoti Basu Thursday said that it was a “loss for the national polity”.”He (V.P. Singh) was all along vocal against the criminalisation of politics. The death of the leader, known for his clean public image and value-based politics, is a loss for our national polity,” Basu, former West Bengal chief minister, said in a statement here.
Recalling his association with V.P. Singh, Basu recalled that the leftists had supported him when he resigned from the Rajiv Gandhi ministry protesting against corruption and later when he became the prime minister.
“V.P. Singh always fought communalism. He had stressed the need for uniting the secular and democratic forces to thwart the dangers of communalism,” he said.
Basu remembered V.P. Singh’s vital role in the formation of the United Front government of 1996 and the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government in 2004, and said he had taken important steps for the upliftment of the other backward classes.
- Communist icon Jyoti Basu, who almost became India's PM, is dead (Intro Roundup) - Jan 17, 2010
- Saddened to see violence in Bengal, says Somnath Chatterjee - Jan 17, 2011
- Advani highlights issue of corruption in his latest blog - Mar 06, 2011
- Somnath's book has 'Left' questions unanswered (Book Review) - Dec 01, 2010
- CPI-M supporting Pranab to combat communal candidate: Buddhadeb - Jul 07, 2012
- Arjun's death irreparable loss to national polity: Congress - Mar 05, 2011
- We have sown seeds of Third Front: SP (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Basu's birth anniversary celebrated across Bengal - Jul 08, 2011
- Institutional mechanism needed to check political malaise: Chatterjee - Jul 09, 2010
- Rosaiah, Chandrababu Naidu condole Basu's death - Jan 17, 2010
- Communist icon Jyoti Basu, who almost became India's PM, is dead (Roundup) - Jan 17, 2010
- Utter disgust in country over government's conduct: Advani - Mar 06, 2011
- Demand for Basu's autobiography shoots up - Jan 20, 2010
- Communist veteran Jyoti Basu dead (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2010
- Basu 'one of the tallest leaders' in Indian politics, says BJP (Lead) - Jan 17, 2010