Voting ends in Agra, over 40 percent turn outMay 7th, 2009 - 8:47 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, May 7 (IANS) Polling for the Agra constituency in Uttar Pradesh was largely peaceful barring a few skirmishes and hot words as a number of voters found their names missing from the lists and argued with officials.
In some areas, there was a delay as the electronic voting machines (EVMs) developed snags and engineers took time to sort out the problems.
Election office sources said 41.5 percent votes were polled in Agra seat and 52 percent in the Fatehpur Sikri constituency.
In Agra, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate Ram Shankar Katheria was battling it out with the Bahujan Samajwadi Party’s (BSP) Kunwar Chand, the Samajwadi Party’s (SP) Ramji Lal Suman and Congress Party’s Prabhu Lal Katheria, while Fatehpur Sikri, cine star-turned-politician Raj Babbar of the Congress Party pitted against Aridaman Singh of the BJP-Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) alliance, Seema Upadhaya of the BSP and Raghu Shakya of the SP.
After a sluggish start in the morning, party workers geared up to draw voters out of their houses to cast their vote. According to political analysts in the city, said parties with committed vote banks tend to gain in an election with a low turnout.
- Raj Babbar gets Congress ticket from Uttar Pradesh - Mar 05, 2009
- Dalit land remains loyal to Mayawati - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress's Muslim card, Ajit Singh's Jat clout on test in Tuesday's poll (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Raj Babbar to contest in a Congress ticket from Fatehpur Sikri - Mar 05, 2009
- Penultimate round of UP polls on Tuesday - Feb 27, 2012
- Brisk voting in UP by-election at Mant - Jun 12, 2012
- High voter turnout in sixth phase too (Evening Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Steady, brisk polling in round 6 of UP polls (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Key contests in fourth phase of polls - May 06, 2009
- Hung assembly, Samajwadi Party to be largest party: Exit polls (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Brisk polling in round six of UP polls (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Trinamool wins first assembly seat in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 15, 2012
- 60 percent turnout in incident-free 6th round of UP poll (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Elaborate security for Agra municipal polls - Jun 27, 2012
- Election fever grips Agra - Feb 26, 2012
Tags: agra, bharatiya janata party, bjp candidate, chand, cine star, congress party, election office, electronic voting machines, fatehpur sikri, kunwar, lal, political analysts, prabhu, raghu, raj babbar, ramji, rld, seema, shakya, skirmishes