Voting begins to decide Munda’s fate in JharkhandFebruary 10th, 2011 - 11:07 am ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Feb 10 (IANS) Polling began Thursday amid heavy security for a by-election from Kharsawa in Jharkhand where Arjun Munda is trying his luck to remain the chief minister. Polling began at 7 a.m. and will end at 3 p.m. Long queues were seen at the polling booths.
Around 12 companies of state and paramilitary forces have been deployed. Helicopters are also being used for surveillance.
Seven candidates are in the fray and their fate is to be decided by 1.54 lakh voters. The vote count will take place Feb 17.
The main contest is between Arjun Munda and Krishna Gagarai of the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P), who is the common opposition candidate.
Gagarai is supported by the Congress and former mentors of Munda like Shailendra Mahto, Suraj Singh Besra and others.
Munda needs to win the election and become a member of the state assembly to fulfil a constitutional necessity as the six-month period since his swearing-in as chief minister in September is about to end.
Munda won from Kharsawa in 1995 on Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) ticket. He joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) just before the 2000 assembly elections. He again won the seat in 2000 and 2005 on BJP ticket.
In 2009, BJP’s Mangal Singh Soy won the seat. He resigned last year to facilitate Munda to get elected to the assembly.
- Munda in byelection Thursday - Feb 09, 2011
- Munda wins Jharkhand by-poll, to stay as chief minister (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- 70 percent turnout in by-poll to decide Munda's fate (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Opposition to field common candidate against Munda in by-poll - Jan 21, 2011
- Munda faces tough by-poll as campaigning ends - Feb 08, 2011
- JMM undecided, opposition to fight Munda in bypoll - Jan 13, 2011
- JMM to field candidate against Munda in by-poll (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Munda wins Jharkhand by-poll - Feb 17, 2011
- Munda to be ruling alliance joint nominee for by-poll: Soren - Jan 18, 2011
- Jharkhand ruling alliance bickers over by-poll - Jun 04, 2011
- Munda files nomination for Kharsawa by-poll - Jan 19, 2011
- JMM eyes Jameshedpur Lok Sabha seat after Munda victory - Feb 18, 2011
- Munda leads in Jharkhand bypoll - Feb 17, 2011
- BJP backtracks, votes for JMM candidate - Mar 30, 2012
- 42 percent polling in Jharkhand by-poll (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: arjun munda, assembly elections, besra, bharatiya janata party, chief minister, heavy security, jharkhand, jvm, krishna, mangal singh, mentors, mukti, opposition candidate, paramilitary forces, place feb, polling booths, queues, ranchi, state assembly, vote count