Voting begins in MaharashtraApril 30th, 2009 - 9:26 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Apr 30 (IANS) Voting began amidst tight security in 10 parliamentary constituencies in Mumbai and Thane districts of Maharashtra for the final phase of elections in the state Thursday morning.
Pollign booths opened at 7 a.m. Among the early voters was industrialist Anil Ambani, who cast his vote in a south Mumbai polling centre amidst a battery of media cameras.
Over 22,000 security personnel drawn from both police and paramilitary forces have been deployed to ensure peaceful polling in Mumbai.
Police have detained over 12,000 anti-social elements to ward off any trouble in the nation’s financial capital, where around 70 polling stations have been identified as “sensitive”.
The constituencies going to polls are Mumbai North, Mumbai North-East, Mumbai North-West, Mumbai North-Central, Mumbai South-Central, Mumbai South, Thane, Kalyan, Bhiwandi and Palghar.
Nearly 13.1 million people are eligible to exercise to their franchise Thursday.
- Filmstars, celebrities queue up to vote in Mumbai (Lead) - Apr 30, 2009
- Celebrities aplenty but low turnout in Mumbai, Thane (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2009
- Maharashtra voting over, turnout could touch 45 percent (Lead) - Apr 30, 2009
- Bollywood stars in patriotic role - please come out to vote - Apr 30, 2009
- Mumbai goes to vote in final phase April 30 - Apr 28, 2009
- Nominations close in Mumbai, Thane for the last phase - Apr 09, 2009
- Bollywood personalities cast their votes, urge people to join in numbers - Apr 30, 2009
- 55 percent turnout in Maharashtra civic polls - Apr 15, 2012
- BJP-Shiv Sena alliance intact in Maharashtra (Lead) - Mar 13, 2009
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, Thane; four drown - Jul 30, 2011
- 70 percent turnout in peaceful Bengal polls (Roundup) - Apr 18, 2011
- Delhi civic polls on April 15 (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Delhi civic polls: BJP heads for big lead (Second Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Polling brisk and peaceful in West Bengal (Fourth Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Rains disrupt Maharashtra-Gujarat train services - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: 1 million, ambani, bhiwandi, booths, central mumbai, final phase, franchise, industrialist, kalyan, mumbai police, palghar, paramilitary forces, parliamentary constituencies, polling stations, security personnel, social elements, south mumbai, thane, thursday morning, tight security