Voting begins for third phase of Indian elections (Lead)April 30th, 2009 - 9:04 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 30 (IANS) Balloting for round three of the staggered Lok Sabha elections got underway thursday morning in 107 constituencies in nine states and two union territories.
The exercise involving an electorate of over 144 million and 1,567 candidates concludes at 5 p.m.
The Election Commission has deployed 200,000 electronic voting machines at 165,000 polling stations and 600,000 election officials for the polling.
The leading contestants include Congress president Sonia Gandhi from Rae Bareli in Uttar Pradesh and the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani from Gandhinagar in Gujarat.
Other notable candidates are former prime minister H.D. Deve Gowda of Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S), National Democratic Alliance (NDA) convenor Sharad Yadav, Communist Party of India (CPI) leader Gurudas Dasgupta, and BJP leader and former external affairs minister Jaswant Singh.
West Bengal votes in the first of its two-phase election, while balloting will conclude in Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra. Bihar will have one more phase to go.
All 26 seats in Gujarat will see voting Thursday.
In Uttar Pradesh, which has the highest seats (80), and Jammu and Kashmir, polling would continue through the rest of the two rounds on May 7 and May 13.
The month long balloting began April 16 and the millions of votes will be counted May 13. Political pundits expect another hung parliament — and another coalition government.
- Sonia, Advani among 1,567 in round three of polls (Curtainraiser) - Apr 29, 2009
- Polling begins for third phase - Apr 30, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh set to vote amid hung house prediction - Feb 07, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh set to vote amid hung house forecast (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Polling ends peacefully in third round - Apr 30, 2009
- Nearly 50 percent polling in third phase - Apr 30, 2009
- Rich and poor vote in third phase of Indian elections (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 30, 2009
- Elections 2012: UP poll battle begins Wednesday - Feb 06, 2012
- Campaigning ends for third phase of LS polls - Apr 28, 2009
- Campaigning for third phase of Lok Sabha polls ends today - Apr 28, 2009
- Brisk voting in fourth round of UP elections (Afternoon Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Peaceful polling in UP, young Lucknow voters queue up (Third Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Third phases of Lok Sabha elections witnesses 49 to 50 % polling - Apr 30, 2009
- Nominations for fourth phase begin in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 25, 2012
- Voting picks up in UP after slow start (Second Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, communist party of india, congress president sonia gandhi, dasgupta, deve gowda, electronic voting machines, external affairs minister, former prime minister, gandhinagar, gurudas, indian elections, l k advani, lok sabha elections, minister jaswant singh, national democratic alliance, political pundits, prime ministerial candidate, rae bareli, sharad yadav, west bengal