Voting begins for second phase of Bihar polls (Second Lead)October 24th, 2010 - 10:21 am ICT by IANS
Patna, Oct 24 (IANS) The second phase of the Bihar assembly elections began in 45 constituencies spread across the Tirhut-Mithilanchal belt Sunday amid reports of Maoist violence in Sitamarhi district.
According to initial reports from Sitamarhi district, Maoists attempted to ransack a polling station and also abducted four officials of a polling booth. The kidnapped officials were released later, the reports added.
However, voters reportedly were seen queuing outside the polling booths soon after elections began at 7 a.m. “Voters are slowly coming to the polling booths to excercise their right to vote,” said an official at the chief electoral officer office here.
Bihar police chief Neelmani told IANS over phone that unprecedented security arrangement was made to ensure free and fair poll.
The central paramilitary force personnel will man 85 percent of the booths and officials of special task force would keep air surveillance from helicopters, Neelmani said.
“A full proof security was made in Maoist affected pockets in view of fear of Maoist violence,” Neelmani said.
A total of 98,44,981 voters are eligible to vote in the second phase that will decide the fate of 623 candidates. Most of the 9,952 polling booths are in the rural areas.
Balloting is underway in six districts - Muzaffarpur, Darbhanga, Samastipur, Motihari, Sheohar and Sitamarhi.
- Second phase of Bihar polls begins - Oct 24, 2010
- Voting under way in Bihar amid Maoist disruptions (Third Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- Maoist violence in Bihar as polling under way - Oct 24, 2010
- Voting begins for second phase of Bihar polls (Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- Millions vote in Bihar -- peacefully again (Evening Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- Millions vote in Bihar despite Maoist threats (Night Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- Bihar poll-second phase: Caste arithmetic to play decisive role (Curtain Raiser) - Oct 23, 2010
- Campaign for second phase of Bihar polls to end today - Oct 23, 2010
- Bihar Assembly polls: Maoists raid polling centre in Sitamarhi - Oct 24, 2010
- 50 percent voting in Bihar till 2 p.m. - Oct 24, 2010
- Polling for second phase of Bihar Assembly elections begins - Oct 24, 2010
- Over 52 percent voter turn out in phase-II of Bihar polls - Oct 24, 2010
- Nearly 25 percent voting in Bihar polls (Third Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- Bihar conducts fifth phase of panchayat polls - May 03, 2011
- Seventh round of Bihar panchayat polls continues peacefully (Lead) - May 09, 2011
Tags: abducted, air surveillance, bihar assembly elections, bihar polls, chief electoral officer, constituencies, full proof, helicopters, initial reports, maoist, maoists, paramilitary force, police chief, polling booth, polling booths, polling station, samastipur, second phase, security arrangement, unprecedented security