Voters throng polling centres in UPMarch 3rd, 2012 - 7:39 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 3 (IANS) Election officials beamed with joy Saturday as millions thronged voting centres in the seventh and final round of polling, creating new records.
Even two hours before the voting concluded at 5 p.m., voting percentage had inched to an all-time high in the country’s most populous state, surpassing the 2007 figures.
In all the 10 districts that went to the polls Saturday, more than 52 percent people had exercised their franchise by 3 p.m., officials said.
The Election Commission extensively used television channels and online media to urge voters to vote in the remaining two hours, pushing more and more people to the polling stations.
Chief Electoral Officer Pradesh Umesh Sinha told IANS that people would be allowed to vote if they were in the queue by 5 p.m. — when balloting ended.
Voting started on a brisk note Saturday morning.
The enthusiastic turnout of voters, including large numbers of women and first time voters, stunned even the most optimistic at the Election Commission office here.
All previous six rounds of polling in the state, since Feb 8, had averaged 55-60 percent.
In Moradabad, 52 percent voting was recorded till 3 p.m. Saturday while the final voting percentage in 2007 there was 50.74 percent.
In Rampur, voting till 3 p.m. crossed the 48.3 percent mark and in J.P. Nagar 56.2 percent. The story was no different in Shahjahanpur and Lakhimpur Kheri.
A total of 6,839 candidates were in the fray for Uttar Pradesh’s 403 assembly seats. The votes will be counted Tuesday.
- Hundreds of thousands vote in UP (Third Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- 70 percent polling in Punjab, 65 percent in Uttarakhand so far: EC - Jan 30, 2012
- UP may go to Samajwadi, blow to Rahul as vote ends (Night Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Second phase UP polls: 36 percent higher voting than 2007 - Feb 11, 2012
- Over 75 percent polling expected in Manipur: Poll panel (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- 55 percent voting in Delhi civic polls (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Re-polling ends in Tamil Nadu - Apr 16, 2011
- Jharkhand panchayat polls: 60 percent ballot in second phase (Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- High voter turnout in sixth phase too (Evening Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- High turnout in Chandigarh civic polls - Dec 18, 2011
- Over 75 percent turnout expected in Manipur: Poll panel - Jan 28, 2012
- Delhi votes to pick trifurcated civic body (Fourth Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- 60 percent turnout in incident-free 6th round of UP poll (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- UP polls: 60 percent turnout in incident-free 6th round (Intro Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Estimated 57 percent turnout in UP third round: Poll panel - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: assembly seats, chief electoral officer, election commission office, election officials, franchise, large numbers, lucknow, polling stations, polls, populous state, queue, saturday morning, shahjahanpur, sinha, television channels, time voters, uttar pradesh