Voter ecstatic after shaking hands with RahulMay 7th, 2009 - 1:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 7 (IANS) For Poonam Vasudevan, Thursday was a day she will never forget. As she went to cast her vote at polling booth number 88 in Aurangzeb Lane, little did she know that she would get to shake hands with Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi.
Vasudevan, 50, came to the polling booth early in the morning along with her husband Jagmohan Vasudevan, planning to meet Gandhi. They had a tough time convincing the booth officials that they should be permitted to stay around and were being asked to leave just when Rahul Gandhi walked in.
Clad in his usual white kurta-pyajama, Rahul cast his ballot and then came out to speak to the couple. She was jumping with joy after the Congress leader spoke to her husband and shook hands with her.
“He has a strong handshake,” an elated Poonam told IANS.
“Earlier I did not feel that he (Gandhi) would make a good politician. But he is sincere and very pleasant to speak (to),” she said.
Asked what she had said to Rahul, Poonam said she had told him he would make a good prime minister to which he replied that he ‘will see’.
- Will you be a good PM? 'Will see,' says Rahul (Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Sonia, Rahul mingle with spectators at Mohali - Mar 31, 2011
- Amethi follows tradition: Washerman casts first vote - Feb 15, 2012
- Rahul mingles with people, conducts road show - Sep 06, 2010
- Sonia reaches out to the common man (Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Rahul's special gesture for grassroot leaders - Nov 28, 2011
- Rahul attacks Mayawati in maiden Lucknow rally (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Indian lawmakers vote to elect new president (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Varun Gandhi ties the knot, aunt Sonia misses ceremony (Second Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- Rahul not working for his reputation in UP: Priyanka - Feb 05, 2012
- Gandhis out to lunch with former family physician - May 03, 2012
- Sonia says only Rahul to decide on his larger role (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Priyanka open to campaigning, 'anything to help' Rahul - Jan 17, 2012
- Vote for change, Priyanka Gandhi urges UP voters - Feb 03, 2012
- Advantage Pranab as lawmakers vote to elect new president (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 19, 2012