Vote Congress for strong government, Sonia tells PunjabMay 3rd, 2009 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
By Alkesh Sharma
Gurdaspur (Punjab), May 3 (IANS) Taking her attack right into the opposition camp for describing Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as a “weak PM”, Congress president Sonia Gandhi Sunday said if people wanted a strong government in the centre, they should vote for the Congress.
Addressing a mammoth rally in this border district of Punjab in support of Congress candidate Pratap Singh Bajwa, Gandhi ridiculed the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leadership for calling others weak when their own leaders kneeled before terrorists in the Kandahar plane hijack episode.
“The Congress has been development oriented. The Indian economy is sound because of the Congress government policies. The Congress has done a lot for farmers and other sections of society,” she said.
“You should know that whenever a non-Congress government has come to power in the centre, it has worked only for personal benefits,” Gandhi said in her address Hindi.
Gandhi said that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had effectively led the country in the last five years.
“What others say, that one family runs the government, is not true. We have chosen Dr. Manmohan Singh to lead the next government also. He is strong and capable,” Gandhi said.
Taking on the Akali Dal-BJP alliance government in Punjab, Gandhi said that central funds under various schemes have gone unaccounted.
“This state government will have to reply where all those crores (tens of millions) of rupees have gone,” she said.
She said that certain countries, upset with the progress of the Indian economy, were trying to spread terrorism in the country.
Bajwa, a former Punjab minister, is pitted against BJP candidate and actor Vinod Khanna in the Gurdaspur constituency.
Khanna, who mostly remains in Mumbai, had won this seat in 1998, 1999 and 2004. He faces a tough contest from Bajwa this time.
Gandhi earlier addressed an election meeting in Jalandhar city for Congress candidate Mohinder Singh Kaypee. She also addressed a rally in state capital Chandigarh in favour of union minister of state for finance Pawan Kumar Bansal.
- Akali Dal-BJP government has pushed Punjab back: Sonia - Jan 24, 2012
- All about family in Punjab Congress this election - Jan 06, 2012
- Advani, Rahul, Rajnath, Hema descend upon Punjab - Jan 25, 2012
- Committed to bringing a strong Lokpal: PM - Jan 21, 2012
- Gloves out in Congress after Punjab defeat (Punjab Newsletter) - Apr 06, 2012
- Soni, Tewari in Congress' Punjab election panel - Nov 17, 2011
- Rahul for Amarinder as Punjab chief minister - Jan 25, 2012
- Don't elect leaders who read written speeches: Uma Bharti - Jan 22, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP kick off Punjab poll campaign - Dec 18, 2011
- Ambika Soni, Tewari in Congress' Punjab coordination panel - May 11, 2011
- PM to address Punjab rallies on Jan 21 - Jan 12, 2012
- Election results a huge blow for Rahul, Congress (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Thumbs up for SP and Akali, Congress bruised (Intro Roundup) - Mar 07, 2012
- Akali-BJP alliance under pressure (Poll Curtainraiser - Punjab) - May 12, 2009
- Sonia blames party weakness for debacle (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: akali dal, alliance government, bajwa, bharatiya janata party, congress candidate, congress government, congress president sonia gandhi, dr manmohan singh, government policies, indian economy, manmohan, manmohan singh, opposition camp, personal benefits, plane hijack, pratap singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, punjab minister, vinod khanna