Virbhadra Singh wins Himachal’s Mandi seatMay 16th, 2009 - 4:30 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, May 16 (IANS) Virbhadra Singh of the Congress has won Himachal Pradesh’s Mandi parliamentary constituency, a poll official said Saturday.
The five-time chief minister defeated his nearest rival Maheshwar Singh of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) by 13,997 votes, state chief electoral officer Anil Khachi told IANS.
Virbhadra Singh bagged 340,973 votes and Maheshwar Singh got 326,976 votes.
The Congress leader belongs to the erstwhile royal family of Bushehr, while the BJP nominee is the scion of the erstwhile ruling family of Kullu.
Pratibha Singh, the wife of Virbhadra Singh, had defeated Maheshwar Singh in the 2004 poll by 66,566 votes.
This constituency saw the maximum voter turnout of 64 percent when the state went to the polls May 13.
- Three-time BJP MP files nomination in Himachal - Apr 21, 2009
- Spotlight on Mandi, Hamirpur (Poll curtainraiser - Himachal Pradesh) - May 12, 2009
- Tribal areas of Himachal record high turnout - May 13, 2009
- BJP candidate in trouble for calling himself 'raja' - Apr 28, 2009
- Himachal's 'Raja Saab' has much at stake - May 10, 2009
- People who set electoral ball rolling in free India (With Image) - Mar 31, 2009
- Royal descendants to battle it out in Himachal's Mandi - Mar 27, 2009
- Tough road ahead for politicians in remote Himachal areas - Apr 07, 2009
- People voted for good governance: Himachal CM (Roundup) - May 16, 2009
- Treading up the Himalayas, spending a night out - to vote - May 10, 2009
- Gung-ho about voting at Himachal's highest polling station - May 12, 2009
- Multimillionaire ex Himachal chief minister doesn't own car - Apr 23, 2009
- Candidate's wife never votes for him (Poll Prattle) - Apr 25, 2009
- Virbhadra Singh turns 77, celebrations in Shimla - Jun 23, 2011
- Kins turn electoral foes in Himachal Pradesh - Apr 28, 2009
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, bushehr, chief electoral officer, chief minister, congress leader, himachal, kullu, mandi, parliamentary constituency, poll, polls, pratibha, royal family, scion, time chief, virbhadra singh, voter turnout