Virbhadra Singh resigns from cabinet (Lead)June 26th, 2012 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 26 (IANS) Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Minister Virbhadra Singh resigned Tuesday after a court in Shimla framed corruption charges against him and his wife.
“I have submitted my resignation to the prime minister,” the veteran Congress leader told IANS after calling on Manmohan Singh at his official residence here.
The prime minister has accepted the resignation, officials said.
Virbhandra Singh said he would return to Himachal Pradesh, his home state, “to strengthen my party ahead of the forthcoming (assembly) elections.
“I will fight it out both at the grassroots and in courts,” he added.
A Shimla court Monday framed charges of corruption against Virbhadra Singh and his wife Pratibha Singh in connection with a 23-year-old case.
The former chief minister of Himachal Pradesh accused the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in the state of vindictiveness.
“It has tried to register false cases against me earlier too,” Virbhadra Singh told IANS. “In the past I have come out clean. This time also I will come out clean.”
The case against Virbhadra Singh pertains to a CD from 1989 which allegedly shows him, when he was chief minister, and his wife demanding a bribe to allow investment in Himachal Pradesh.
- Congress defends Virbhadra Singh - Jun 26, 2012
- Virbhadra accuses Dhumal of vindictiveness - Jul 01, 2012
- Tainted Virbhadra Singh goes, vows to fight on (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
- Team Anna demands Virbhadra's resignation - Jun 25, 2012
- Virbhadra faces graft charge; says will resign if asked to (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
- Setback for Virbhadra in Himachal poll arena? (News Analysis) - Jun 26, 2012
- Nothing to do with Virbhadra episode, says BJP - Jun 26, 2012
- Virbhadra calls graft case 'concocted' - Jun 25, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh resigns - Jun 26, 2012
- It's homecoming for Virbhadra Singh (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Jun 29, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh seeks speedy trial in graft case - Sep 07, 2012
- Virbhadra to head Congress' Himachal poll campaign - Jun 30, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh to appear in court in graft case (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Virbhadra ready for graft case trial in lower court - Aug 29, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh to appear in court in graft case - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, bharatiya janata party, bribe, chief minister, congress leader, corruption charges, forthcoming assembly, grassroots, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, old case, prime minister, resignation, small and medium enterprises, vindictiveness, virbhadra singh