Virbhadra graft case: Order on charge June 25June 6th, 2012 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 6 (IANS) A court in Shimla Wednesday reserved till June 25 its order on the question whether corruption charges should be framed against union minister and former Himachal Pradesh chief minister Virbhadra Singh and his wife Pratibha Singh.
Special Judge B.L. Soni was told by defence counsel that an audio cassette played in the court May 31 and purportedly containing Virbhadra Singh’s voice was not authentic.
The prosecution claimed that the cassette contained the union minister’s voice while referring to some monetary transactions with industrialists.
Defence counsel contended that the case was frivolous and it was registered on the basis of an audio cassette whose origin, source and authenticity were not known.
The prosecution said the cassette was handed over to the investigating agency by Vijai Singh Mankotia, a political adversary of Virbhadra Singh, in 2007.
“There was no cut-and-paste of voices in the cassette. Moreover, the Chandigarh-based Central Forensic Science Laboratory authenticated that the voices of Virbhadra Singh and his wife matched with that in the cassette,” Special Public Prosecutor Jiwan Lal Sharma told the court.
The prosecution also provided other evidence to prosecute Virbhadra Singh and his wife under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The cassette allegedly contained Virbhadra Singh’s telephonic conversation with Indian Administrative Service officer Mahinder Lal, who is now dead.
It also contained voices of his wife and some industrialists, who have been identified by police, proposing to invest in the state.
Virbhadra Singh was the chief minister when the recording of the cassette was made. He faces charges of misusing his official position and criminal misconduct in 1989.
The prosecution filed the charge sheet against the couple in October 2010.
- Graft case: Virbhadra gets audio tape's copy - May 22, 2012
- Virbhadra voice CD in a graft case played in court - May 31, 2012
- Graft charges framed against Virbhadra, wife (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Graft case: Setback for Virbhadra Singh - Mar 13, 2012
- Virbhadra graft case: Recording of evidence in November - Sep 21, 2012
- Graft charges framed against union minister Virbhadra Singh (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Virbhadra faces graft charge; says will resign if asked to (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
- Graft charges framed against Virbhadra, wife (Third Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh asked to reply to plea to cancel bail - May 01, 2011
- Virbhadra graft case: Court reserves order - Jan 05, 2012
- Team Anna demands Virbhadra's resignation - Jun 25, 2012
- Himachal High Court turns down Virbhadra's plea - Sep 03, 2010
- Virbhadra CD case: Witness moves court against prosecution - Apr 04, 2011
- Court defers Virbhadra Singh's plea in graft case - Sep 24, 2010
- Himachal government seeks cancellation of Virbhadra's bail - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: administrative service officer, chief minister, corruption charges, criminal misconduct, defence counsel, forensic science laboratory, graft case, himachal, indian administrative service, industrialists, investigating agency, monetary transactions, prevention of corruption act, public prosecutor, shimla, soni, special judge, telephonic conversation, union minister, vijai