Virbhadra accuses Dhumal of vindictivenessJuly 1st, 2012 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, July 1 (IANS) Congress leader Virbhadra Singh, who quit as union minister over graft charges Sunday, stepped up attack on Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, accusing him of settling political scores by registering false and frivolous cases.
“The entire case (against me) has been fabricated by Dhumal himself. He is leading the most corrupt government,” the five-time former chief minister of Himachal Pradesh said. Virbhadra was appointed the chairman of party’s campaign committee in the state ahead of the assembly polls, slated for February next year.
Virbhadra Sunday returned to Himachal Pradesh, the first visit to the state after submitting his resignation as union minister of micro, small and medium enterprises in New Delhi last week.
He was accorded a warm welcome at Parwanoo in Solan town, the hill town located on Haryana border, where he addressed the first public rally after being charged by a Shimla court in a corruption case.
He accused the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government led by Dhumal of being vindictive and settling scores with the opposition Congress by registering false and frivolous cases.
Expressing gratitude to Congress president Sonia Gandhi for asking him to lead the poll campaign, he said bringing the party back to power would be his top priority.
The supporters of Virbhadra Singh accorded him warm welcome at a number of places from Parwanoo to Shimla.
After submitting his resignation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Delhi Tuesday, Virbhadra Singh said: “Now, I am ready to return to the state and to fight the battle on two fronts.”
“I will fight it out both at the grassroots (to strengthen the party ahead of the assembly elections) and in the courts,” he added.
The Shimla court framed corruption charges against Virbhadra Singh and his wife Pratibha Singh in connection with a 23-year-old case.
- Virbhadra Singh resigns from cabinet (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Congress defends Virbhadra Singh - Jun 26, 2012
- Nothing to do with Virbhadra episode, says BJP - Jun 26, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh seeks speedy trial in graft case - Sep 07, 2012
- Setback for Virbhadra in Himachal poll arena? (News Analysis) - Jun 26, 2012
- Tainted Virbhadra Singh goes, vows to fight on (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
- Congress appoints Virbhadra campaign committee chief for Himachal elections - Jul 17, 2012
- Sonia rallies in Himachal in September - Aug 29, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh to appear in court in graft case (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Virbhadra faces graft charge; says will resign if asked to (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh to appear in court in graft case - Aug 31, 2012
- Virbhadra ready for graft case trial in lower court - Aug 29, 2012
- Virbhadra to head Congress' Himachal poll campaign - Jun 30, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh appointed Congress' Himachal chief - Aug 29, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh is Himachal Congress chief - Aug 26, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, assembly polls, bharatiya janata party, congress leader, congress president sonia gandhi, corrupt government, corruption case, corruption charges, expressing gratitude, frivolous cases, graft charges, manmohan singh, opposition congress, parwanoo, poll campaign, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, public rally, small and medium enterprises, virbhadra singh