Violence rocks Kalyan, Thackeray to spend night in police lock-up (With ‘Mumbai held to ransom after Raj Thackeray arrest’)October 21st, 2008 - 11:18 pm ICT by IANS
Kalyan (Maharashtra), Oct 21 (IANS) There were incidents of rioting, arson, stone pelting and clashes with police in this Thane district town Tuesday evening, as Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray prepared to spend a night in the police lock-up here.Agitated MNS activists went on a rampage, damaging or torching at least a dozen private vehicles, and 10 shops in different parts of the town.
At several places bonfires were made of goods that were looted from shops while one group attacked the Kalyan railway station. Policemen baton-charged a group of miscreants that damaged the railway station.
The activists’ ire was fuelled when it became clear that since no night magistrates were available in Kalyan or nearby Dombivili town, Thackeray would be compelled to spend a night in the police lock-up.
Thackeray, arrested early morning from Ratnagiri, is due to be presented before the magistrate here Wednesday morning.
According to tentative indications from MNS leaders, he expects to secure bail and be handed over to the Chhattisgarh Police for a court hearing in Jamshedpur.
Earlier in the day, the police in the twin cities of Kalyan and Dombivli had made preventive detentions of at least 25 MNS leaders in anticipation of Thackeray’s arrival for a hearing in the Kalyan court.
Thackeray was brought here earlier in the evening after the Kalyan police secured his custody for a case regarding attacks on north Indian candidates who were due to appear for a railway recruitment examination here last Sunday.
Earlier, Bandra Metropolitan Magistrate G.R. Wankhede had ordered 14 days judicial custody to Thackeray under various charges under sections 423, 427, 535, 107, 106(II), 506(II) of the Indian Penal Code, all pertaining to rioting, assault, damage to private and public properties, and IPC Sec 153(A), for provoking hatred among different communities.
Kalyan-Dombivli, with a population of around 800,000 middle and lower middle class inhabitants, is a semi-industrial belt from where thousands of people daily commute to workplaces in Mumbai.
- Raj Thackeray gets bail - Feb 05, 2011
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Thackeray returns home after bail, supporters jubilant (Roundup) - Oct 22, 2008
- Curfew in Kalyan, Raj Thackeray's wife holds sit-in protest (Lead) - Oct 22, 2008
- Kalyan court sends Thackeray to jail for 14 days - Oct 22, 2008
- Thackeray gets bail, minutes after getting jail (Lead) - Oct 22, 2008
- Court will hear Raj Thackeray case after 10 months - Nov 18, 2009
- Raj Thackeray spends quiet night in jail, Mumbai quiet too - Oct 22, 2008
- Raj Thackeray gets jail in second case of rioting (Second Lead) - Oct 21, 2008
- Mumbai Police gear up for MNS march - Aug 21, 2012
- 48 cities to be developed as solar cities - Nov 25, 2011
- Raj Thackeray arrested for violence, bailed out (Lead) - Jun 29, 2009
- Animal rights groups step up campaign against horse carriages - Jun 14, 2012
- Raj Thackeray remanded to judicial custody till July 13 - Jun 29, 2009
- Raj Thackeray gets bail on surety of rupees one lakh - Jun 29, 2009