Vijayan calls Somnath Chatterjee ‘biggest traitor of party’February 6th, 2009 - 3:58 pm ICT by IANS
Kozhikode (Kerala), Feb 6 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Kerala state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan Friday called Lok Sabha Speaker and former party member Somnath Chatterjee as the “biggest traitor of the party”. The comment came during a rally here when state Cooperation Minister G. Sudhakaran said that “traitors have no place in the party”.
Asked if the comment was a direct attack on Kerala Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan, who has opted to stay away from the state-wide rally, Vijayan said: “Somnath (Chatterjee) is the biggest traitor of the party. Please don’t compare Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan with Somnath.”
“No, it is not Achuthanandan but Somnath to whom Sudhakaran was referring,” he said.
The CPI-M had expelled Chatterjee from the party in July 23 last year following the trust vote in parliament. The CPI-M leadership said the action was taken under Article 19 (13) of the party constitution as Chatterjee did not quit the speaker’s post during the trust vote in parliament after the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) went ahead with the India-US civil nuclear deal — prompting the Left to withdraw support to the government.
- Achuthanandan versus Vijayan - and CPI-M? (Kerala Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
- Out of politburo, Achuthanandan is miffed - Apr 09, 2012
- CPI-M not involved in former leader's murder: Achuthanandan - May 07, 2012
- Vijayan will meet Dange's fate: Achuthanandan - May 12, 2012
- CPI-M Kerala unit to meet to map its future - Feb 06, 2012
- Vijayan denies complaining against Achuthanandan - Aug 13, 2011
- Congress MP ready to be quizzed by police, CPI-M leaders not keen - Jul 02, 2012
- Achuthanandan not in politburo, Buddhadeb in - Apr 09, 2012
- Achuthanandan will remain opposition leader: CPI-M - Feb 10, 2012
- CPI-M pulls up leader for murder claims - May 27, 2012
- Take up national role, Medha Patekar urges Achuthanandan - Jul 15, 2012
- Achuthanandan visits home of murdered Marxist - Jun 02, 2012
- Chennithala takes potshots at CPI-M - Jan 10, 2012
- Karat again elected CPI-M boss (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M facing tough times (Letter from Kerala) - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, kerala state, kozhikode, Lok Sabha, nuclear deal, parliament, party constitution, party member, pinarayi vijayan, progressive alliance, state cooperation, state secretary, traitor, traitors, trust vote, UPA, v s achuthanandan