Vidarbha supporters to observe Maharashtra Day as Black DayApril 27th, 2012 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 27 (IANS) Pro-Vidarbha activists will observe the Maharashtra Day on May 1 as ‘Black Day’ and will take out rallies and hold demonstrations to press their demand for a separate state.
Farmers and tribals of the region are likely to respond in a big way to the agitation call given by veteran pro-Vidarbha activist Jambuwantrao Dhote, people associated with the movement said.
The Vidarbha region in the eastern part of Maharashtra consists of 11 districts. There has been a long-pending demand for a separate Vidarbha state.
Dhote, along with farmer and tribal leaders, will also review the separate Vidarbha demand, Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti chief Kishore Tiwari said.
“The state government has been neglecting the basic demands of the lakhs of debt-ridden cotton farmers who are killing themselves daily, making this one of the most-suicide prone regions in the country,” Tiwari told IANS.
He alleged that the state leadership, dominated by the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) in western Maharashtra, was diverting funds meant for development of Vidarbha — and now even food and fuel quotas allotted to the region.
The people of the region have been left with no option but to aggressively re-start the demand for “freedom” for a separate Vidarbha state, he added.
- Economist Vijay Kelkar visits crisis-ridden Vidarbha - Apr 06, 2012
- Debt drives three more Vidarbha farmers to suicide (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Economist Kelkar to meet Vidarbha farmers - Apr 05, 2012
- Three Vidarbha farmers end life - Apr 20, 2012
- Farmer critical after attempting suicide at Chavan's rally - Dec 04, 2011
- Four more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 08, 2012
- Cotton farmers protest against proposed bailout package - Nov 23, 2011
- Vidarbha farmers, widows to 'mourn' decade of BT cotton - Mar 25, 2012
- Vidarbha, Telengana 'states' welcome motorists at border (With Images) - Jan 16, 2010
- Vidharba farmers protest Chavan's 'peanuts' bailout package - Dec 15, 2011
- Vidharba shutdown Thursday for farmers'demands - Dec 14, 2011
- Five more farmers commit suicides in Vidarbha - May 01, 2012
- Vidarbha farmers, widows 'mourn' decade of BT cotton (With Image) - Mar 26, 2012
- Cotton farmers' stir intensifies in Maharashtra - Nov 16, 2011
- Seven more Vidarbha farmers commit suicide in last 48 hours - Sep 08, 2011
Tags: activist, agitation, andolan, cotton farmers, demonstrations, food and fuel, kishore, lakhs, nationalist congress party, ncp, prone regions, quotas, rallies, state farmers, state government, state leadership, tribal leaders, tribals, vidarbha region, western maharashtra