VHP protests in Hyderabad lead to traffic jamsAugust 13th, 2008 - 8:39 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 13 (IANS) Vehicular traffic was thrown out of gear at several places here Wednesday as Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) activists staged road blockades as part of their nationwide protests against the cancellation of land transfer to the Amarnath shrine board in Kashmir. The protest on several busy roads led to traffic jams and caused severe inconvenience to people.
Holding saffron flags and raising slogans of “Jai Bharat Mata”, the BJP and VHP leaders and activists blocked traffic on busy thoroughfares.
BJP state president Bandaru Dattatreya, party’s national secretary N. Indrasena Reddy and legislator G. Kishan Reddy were among 300 protesters arrested by the police at few places.
VHP activists also blocked trains at Secunderabad railway station. The protesters stopped the New Delhi-bound AP Express for sometime.
The BJP staged the protest for the third consecutive day, disrupting the traffic in the peak hours at RTC cross roads, Habsiguda, Kukatpally, Khairatabad, L.B. Nagar and Nallakunta.
The activists of the BJP and VHP also staged the protests at Tirupati, Guntur, Rajhamundry, Karimnagar, Kadpa and Chittoor towns. The protesters raised slogans of “down with Pakistan”. The police said no untoward incident was reported from any place.
- Telangana protests hit road transport, hundreds detained - Jan 17, 2011
- Telangana leaders arrested for road blockades in Hyderabad - Sep 28, 2011
- Opposition strike hits hard Andhra Pradesh (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Hyderabad shutdown called on Sep 30, rail blockade in October (Roundup) - Sep 26, 2011
- Protests in Andhra over petrol price hike - May 15, 2011
- Telangana protest reaches CM's office, strike continues - Sep 26, 2011
- Telangana strike paralyses transport services - Sep 19, 2011
- Shutdown hits normal life in Andhra Pradesh - Jul 05, 2010
- Chandrababu among many arrested in Hyderabad - Jul 05, 2010
- Rallies for and against Bhardwaj in Karnataka - May 17, 2011
- Blockade brings Telangana train traffic to a standstill (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- Opposition parties in Andhra protest petrol price hike - Jan 16, 2011
- 'People's strike' brings Telangana to a halt - Sep 13, 2011
- Cook-and-eat agitation in Hyderabad for Telangana state (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- Telangana students try to storm assembly, protests rock Hyderabad (Second Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
Tags: amarnath shrine, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chittoor, cross roads, dattatreya, guntur, karimnagar, kishan, national secretary, peak hours, railway station, road blockades, shrine board, state president, thoroughfares, traffic jams, untoward incident, vehicular traffic, vishwa hindu parishad