VHP calls nationwide shutdown over Amarnath land issueJuly 1st, 2008 - 6:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 1 (IANS) The radical Hindu group Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) has called for a countrywide shutdown on Thursday to protest the Jammu and Kashmir government’s decision to revoke the land transfer to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB). “We will not stop until the Amarnath land is given back to the shrine board,” VHP general secretary Praveen Togadia told reporters here Tuesday.
He announced a phase-wise agitation until the government met the VHP demand.
In March this year, the government had allotted about 40 hectares of forest land in Baltal to the SASB that organises the annual pilgrimage to the Himalayan cave shrine at Amarnath dedicated to Lord Shiva. But Tuesday, the government backtracked and cancelled the allotment order, putting an end to a controversy that saw violent protests in the Muslim-dominated Kashmir Valley last week.
But this in turn angered people in the Hindu-majority Jammu region, where authorities banned processions and assembly of more than four people to avoid further trouble.
Togadia demanded a boycott of all goods from Kashmir.
“Kashmiri handicrafts, fruits and other products from the valley should be totally boycotted,” he said, adding that the Haj subsidy must be cancelled.
The Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT), one of the largest traders organisations in the nation, has supported the VHP call.
“We have sent a message to around 5,000 trade unions associated with us across the country to down shutters on Thursday as the decision has affected the sentiments of all Hindus,” said Praveen Khandelwal, secretary general of the association.
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Amarnath yatra too short, say religious groups - Feb 29, 2012
- VHP warns Amarnath shrine board - Mar 05, 2012
- No plans to construct motorable road to Amarnath shrine: Kashmir - Aug 19, 2012
- Government, Hindu groups clash over Amarnath yatra - Jun 09, 2011
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- Groups threaten to start Amarnath Yatra June 3 - May 19, 2012
- Jammu, Kashmir lock horns over Amarnath infrastructure - Aug 23, 2012
- Amarnath yatra dates decided on religious calendar, says shrine board (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Five detained for locking Kashmir House in Delhi - May 18, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Hindu groups to view route to Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 12, 2011
- Ahead of Amarnath pilgrimage, Kashmir secures routes - Jun 06, 2011
- Nationwide shutdown successful, claims trader's organisation - Sep 20, 2012
Tags: allotment, forest land, general secretary, haj subsidy, himalayan cave, hindu group, hindus, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, kashmir, kashmir valley, kashmiri handicrafts, lord shiva, praveen togadia, sasb, shri, shrine board, trade unions, violent protests, vishwa hindu parishad