VHP, Bajrang Dal not behind attacks on churches: TogadiaOctober 3rd, 2008 - 10:29 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Oct 3 (IANS) Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Praveen Togadia Friday denied that the VHP and Bajrang Dal were behind the attacks on churches in Orissa and Karnataka. “We do not believe in violence in any form,” he told reporters here.
He said “Tribals are rising against churches as churches are hurting their sentiments. In Jharkhand, tribal sentiments were hurt by a translated Bible and similarly the Kandh tribal are hurt in Orissa by the churches.”
Asked about the move to ban the Bajrang Dal and VHP following the anti-Christian attacks, he said, “The VHP and Bajrang Dal are not involved in any violent activities. None of the organisations promotes terrorism in any form. We serve people of the country.”
He also alleged that Railway Minister Lalu Prasad and Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav “support anti-nationals” who were “involved in spreading terrorism in the country”, and demanded a ban on madrassas or Islamic seminaries in the country.
“Lalu and Mulayam support SIMI (the banned Students Islamic Movement of India) activities in the country and have protested the ban on it. Both leaders are directly or indirectly supporting anti-nationals who are involved in spreading terrorism in the country,” Tagodia, the VHP international general secretary, told reporters.
He said, “Islamic jihad is taught in the madrassas and they should be banned”.
“In the last 15 years almost all political parties have ruled the country and none of them have addressed the root cause of terrorism. Islamic jihad taught in madrassas spread terrorism in the country. Madrassas and other places where Islamic terrorism is spread should be uprooted to end terrorism,” he said. He cited the example of the US and Britain, where madrassa education has been banned.
- BJP condoles Husain's death, Bajrang Dal opposes burial in India (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Bajrang Dal slams Rahul for equating RSS with SIMI - Oct 06, 2010
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Christians reject report on church attacks: Bangalore archbishop - Feb 05, 2011
- BJP condoles Husain's death; Bajrang Dal opposes burial in India (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Hindu groups condemn bikinis with images of Hindu goddess - May 08, 2011
- Nurseries of tolerance: Hindus in Islamic seminaries (Feature) - Jul 07, 2011
- Pak forms MRA to check terror activities originating from country's madrassas - Jan 29, 2010
- Is the Pakistani Army getting ready to take over? (Part I) - Jan 07, 2011
- VHP threatens retaliation if Gita is banned - Dec 20, 2011
- VHP, Bajrang Dal activists protest ban on Togadia's visit to Kandhamal - Mar 20, 2010
- Lawmaker attacked, 100 buses vandalised in Bangladesh strike (Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- Indian Mujahideen: poison fruit of saffron politics, jehadi mindset (Comment) - Dec 11, 2010
- Islam doesn't allow killing of mankind: Pakistani scholar - Feb 29, 2012
- NGO holds hearing on Orissa's anti-Christian violence - Aug 22, 2010