Veteran Tripura Congress leader deadSeptember 7th, 2010 - 3:41 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Sep 7 (IANS) Ashok Bhattacharjee, a veteran Congress leader and a stanch follower of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, died here Tuesday. He was 73.
Bhattacharjee, the only Congress leader in northeast India in whose house Indira Gandhi stayed in 1983 during her visit to Tripura, was elected to the state assembly three times till 2008.
The former opposition leader (1998 to 2003) in the state assembly is survived by his wife, who is suffering from cancer.
“Bhattacharjee, former Tripura Congress chief (1971 to 1987) and a member of the Congress Working Committee (1972 to 1974 and 1978 to 1987), had played a pivotal role during the Bangladesh liberation war in 1971,” Tripura Congress spokesman Tapash Dey told reporters.
Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Central Committee member Bijon Dhar and many other leaders cutting across party lines mourned his death.
The cremation was held Tuesday afternoon at the Battala cremation ground.
- Tripura announces holiday to mourn Left leader - Jun 07, 2011
- Prominent Tripura tribal leader dead - Nov 13, 2010
- Indira Gandhi confidante P.N. Dhar dead - Jul 19, 2012
- CPI-M fumes at denial of site in Agartala for rally - Jan 28, 2012
- Trinamool won't join hands with Congress for Tripura polls - Jun 17, 2012
- An iconic Communist figure of Tripura dies - Jun 07, 2011
- Tripura legislator accused of faking caste certificate - Aug 09, 2012
- Iconic Left leader's body cremated in Tripura - Jun 09, 2011
- Three northeastearn states soon to have high courts - May 12, 2012
- Tripura Congress, CPI-M trade charges of wooing militants - Jun 27, 2012
- Tripura's Left government promises corrective measures - May 14, 2011
- Bollywood's first superstar, Rajesh Khanna's filmography - Jul 18, 2012
- Minister reinducted in Tripura amidst controversy - Feb 12, 2012
- 85 percent turnout in Tripura local bodies polls - Feb 24, 2011
- PM condoles Dhar's death - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: agartala, bangladesh liberation war, central committee member, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress chief, congress leader, congress spokesman, congress working committee, dhar, former prime minister, indira gandhi, m central, northeast india, opposition leader, pranab mukherjee, prime minister indira, state assembly, union finance minister