Very critical Jyoti Basu on maximum ventilator support (Second lead)January 16th, 2010 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 16 (IANS) Veteran Marxist Jyoti Basu’s condition remained very critical Saturday after he suffered multi-organ failure. The 95-year-old leader has been put on dialysis and is on maximum ventilator support, doctors attending on him said.
“He has been put on maximum ventilator support and is undergoing slow, low efficiency daily dialysis (SLEDD),” A.K. Maity, who heads the eight-member medical board treating Basu at the AMRI Hospital, told reporters here.
“Five of his body organs - brain, liver, kidney, lungs and heart - are not functioning. His condition is not at all well,” he added.
“AMRI Hospital’s nephrologists had a talk with their counterparts at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) regarding Basu’s treatment last night (Friday),” Maity said, adding that they had changed some of the medicines Saturday.
Earlier, the medical bulletin said that Basu’s condition was extremely critical and his blood pressure and urine output had dropped. The former West Bengal chief minister suffered multi-organ failure Friday evening.
According to doctors, the level of carbon dioxide in Basu’s body increased, after which he was given more ventilator support.
“He is now under round the clock medical observation,” the medical report added.
The communist icon was hospitalised after a pneumonia attack and admitted in the Intensive Cardiac Care Unit (ICCU) of the Salt Lake-based private hospital Jan 1.
Born 1914 in Kolkata, Basu became chief minister of West Bengal in June 1977. He stepped down voluntarily on health grounds in November 2000.
- Jyoti Basu remains 'extremely critical' (Third lead) - Jan 16, 2010
- Jyoti Basu's condition 'extremely' critical: doctors (Lead) - Jan 16, 2010
- Jyoti Basu remains 'extremely critical', Bachchan visits (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2010
- Jyoti Basu's condition 'very, very' critical (Intro Roundup) - Jan 16, 2010
- Jyoti Basu showing signs of multi-organ failure: doctors (Lead) - Jan 15, 2010
- Jyoti Basu showing signs of multi-organ failure (Second Lead) - Jan 15, 2010
- Jyoti Basu suffers multi-organ failure (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2010
- Jyoti Basu remains 'very, very' critical - Jan 16, 2010
- Jyoti Basu - his last days in hospital - Jan 17, 2010
- Basu on temporary pacemaker, still critical - Jan 17, 2010
- Critical Basu now has fever, no improvement in condition (Roundup) - Jan 12, 2010
- No improvement in Jyoti Basu's condition (Lead) - Jan 11, 2010
- Jyoti Basu still critical, oxygen requirement high - Jan 15, 2010
- Jyoti Basu showing signs of multi-organ failure: doctor - Jan 15, 2010
- No change in Basu's brain status, still critical (Lead) - Jan 12, 2010
Tags: all india institute of medical sciences, body organs, carbon dioxide, cardiac care unit, chief minister, friday evening, health grounds, iccu, india institute, jyoti basu, medical board, medical bulletin, medical report, nephrologists, organ failure, private hospital, support doctors, urine output, ventilator support, west bengal