Verdict on reservation in MCD polls WednesdayFebruary 28th, 2012 - 8:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 28 (IANS) The Delhi High Court will Wednesday pronounce its verdict on petitions that seek quashing of the Election Commission’s decision to reserve seats for the Scheduled Castes candidates in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi elections slated for April.
A group of councillors belonging to both the Bharatiya Janata Party and the Congress moved the court challenging the earmarking of seats as reserved for the Scheduled Castes (SCs).
A division bench of Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Justice Rajiv Shakdher on Feb 16 reserved the verdict after counsel from both sides concluded their arguments.
The petitioners contended that the poll commission’s notification reserving the seats was “arbitrary, malafide and without any logic” as the commission had reserved seats for the SCs on the basis of the 2001 census and not the recent 2011 census.
The Election Commission “acted without any logic” in reserving the seats on the basis of 2001 census - reserving those seats where the Scheduled Castes population was only 12 percent, and making those as general seats where the SC population was more than 40 percent, they contended.
The Election Commission opposed the plea, saying that the rationale behind the reservation was to give due representation to the SC candidates.
The state poll panel issued the notification Jan 27.
- Court reserves order on MCD polls (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Petitions against Scheduled Caste seats in MCD polls dismissed (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Delhi poll panel gets notice on MCD elections - Feb 03, 2012
- Plea against Scheduled Caste, woman seats in MCD polls dismissed (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Petitions against reserving MCD seats for SCs dismissed - Feb 29, 2012
- UP local bodies' election will go ahead: Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Half of MCD wards go to women, male politicians jittery - Jan 28, 2012
- UP local bodies' election will go ahead: Supreme Court - Jun 11, 2012
- Government's view sought on poor students' admission to KVs - Mar 10, 2012
- Fresh Scheduled Tribes' quota in Uttar Pradesh house suggested - Jan 10, 2012
- Fresh Scheduled Tribes' quota in Uttar Pradesh house suggested (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Apex court clears decks for Uttar Pradesh panchayat polls - Sep 21, 2010
- Court notice to Kendriya Vidyalayas on admitting poor students - Feb 09, 2012
- Posts for SCs, STs lie vacant in central universities - Aug 20, 2012
- Mayawati demands constitution amendment for SC/ST quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, castes, census, councillors, delhi high court, division bench, due representation, election commission, kaul, kishan, malafide, municipal corporation of delhi, New Delhi, petitioners, petitions, plea, rajiv, rationale, sanjay, state poll