Venezuela’s ruling party wins majority in electionSeptember 27th, 2010 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, Sep 27 (IANS) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez’s Socialist Party won the majority of seats in the parliamentary election, authorities said Monday.
With most votes counted, the Socialist Party won some 90 of the 165 seats, Xinhua quoted National Electoral Council president Tibisay Lucena as saying.
However, the opposition claimed it had won a majority by getting 52 percent of the country’s popular vote.
About 17.5 million Venezuelans voted Sunday to choose 165 deputies to the National Assembly and 12 representatives to the Latin American parliament.
Chavez said that with these elections Venezuela would show the world it was a democratic country, underlining transparency, reliability and security of the electoral process.
- Chavez's Party Loses It's Supermajority in Venezuela Elections - Sep 27, 2010
- Chavez to launch re-election bid - Jun 07, 2012
- Chavez allies suffer a cutback in the congressional majority - Sep 28, 2010
- Chavez to travel to Cuba for surgery - Feb 24, 2012
- Venezuela to hold referendum on Chavez term Feb 15 - Jan 17, 2009
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
- Hugo Chavez Allies Face Setback In Elections In Venezuela - Sep 28, 2010
- Chavez vows to spend extra income from oil on social programmes - Apr 23, 2011
- Venezuela to spend oil income on social programmes (Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Chavez recovering well, says Venezuelan official - Jun 27, 2011
- Venezuelan lawmakers honour Olympic fencing champ - Aug 15, 2012
- Chavez says his progress is favourable - Mar 13, 2012
- Chilean senators barred from entering Venezuela - Jul 18, 2010
- Replica of Bolivar's sword presented to fencing champ - Aug 09, 2012
- Chavez in good physical condition after operation: Venezuela - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: american parliament, council president, democratic country, deputies, election authorities, electoral council, electoral process, hugo chavez, latin american, national electoral, parliamentary election, popular vote, president hugo chavez, ruling party, socialist party, tibisay lucena, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez, venezuelans, xinhua