Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez says he is free of cancerOctober 21st, 2011 - 7:30 pm ICT by BNO News
CARACAS (BNO NEWS) — Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez on Thursday said he is free of cancer after returning from Cuba where he underwent medical tests. It concludes several months of treatment.
Chávez said that a series of medical tests performed in Cuba this week revealed no abnormal cell activity in his body. “I have concluded a vital stage of treatment (…) The tests support the conclusion that I am free from disease,” he said.
The left wing president traveled to Havana on Sunday night to take a series of medical examinations. This was the fourth time he traveled to the island for treatment since he was diagnosed with cancer in June.
The Venezuelan President was on a three-country tour which included Brazil, Cuba and Ecuador when doctors detected a tumor with cancerous cells in his pelvic area during a planned medical checkup in La Havana. He had an initial surgery on June 11 to drain his pelvic area and begin antibiotic treatment. A second surgery was then performed to remove a cancerous tumor.
The left wing president has been in office since 1999 and plans to run for re-election in late 2012 despite his disease.
- Hugo Chavez calls doctor 'a liar' after saying he has 2 years left to live - Oct 28, 2011
- Chavez says he's free of cancer - Oct 21, 2011
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for more surgery - Feb 26, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for cancer treatment - Mar 26, 2012
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- Chavez in good physical condition after operation: Venezuela - Feb 29, 2012
- Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politics - Sep 05, 2012
- Chavez in Cuba for another round of cancer treatment - Apr 16, 2012
- Chavez says his progress is favourable - Mar 13, 2012
- Hugo Chavez to start chemotherapy treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Chavez returns to Cuba for cancer treatment - Apr 09, 2012
- Chavez takes to Twitter after surgery - Mar 02, 2012
- Venezuelan president says he needs more chemotherapy - Sep 14, 2011
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
Tags: antibiotic treatment, bno, cancerous cells, cancerous tumor, caracas, cuba, havana, hugo chavez, initial surgery, left wing, medical checkup, medical examinations, medical tests, pelvic area, president hugo chavez, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez, vital stage