Varun must apologise for communal remarks, says BJP (Lead)March 17th, 2009 - 3:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 17 (IANS) Shunning its ‘other Gandhi’ candidate, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) said Tuesday that Varun Gandhi should apologise for his inflammatory anti-Muslim remarks that go against the party’s credo of “harmony and unity”.
“We are of the strong belief that Varun Gandhi should apologise. The BJP dissociates itself from his remarks,” Shahnawaz Hussain, the party’s spokesperson in parliament, told reporters here.
“This (Gandhi’s remarks) is not what the party stands for,” Hussain asserted.
Echoing his view, BJP vice president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said this was not the culture of the BJP.
“BJP believes in prosperity, harmony and unity and it is the only tool to fight terror,” Naqvi told IANS.
He did not refer to Varun Gandhi’s Congress family background - he is the son of the late Sanjay Gandhi, former prime minister Indira Gandhi’s younger son, and Maneka Gandhi - but said: “It is the Congress culture to divide society on the basis of caste and religion.”
Clearly distancing himself from the controversy, Naqvi said it was up to the Election Commission to take action against Varun Gandhi if he had violated the model code of conduct.
The 29-year-old was Sunday issued a notice by the district authorities in Uttar Pradesh’s Pilibhit, the constituency so carefully nurtured by his mother who gave up the seat to ensure his easy entry into the Lok Sabha.
Varun Gandhi said in Pilibhit Tuesday that the CD containing his speech had been tampered with.
- Varun must apologise, action after seeing tapes: BJP (Second Lead) - Mar 17, 2009
- India's 'other Gandhi scion' Varun booked for stirring communal cauldron (Roundup) - Mar 17, 2009
- BJP shuns Varun, says abusing religion is not party culture - Mar 17, 2009
- Criminal case filed against Varun for inflammatory speeches (Lead) - Mar 17, 2009
- RSS follows BJP line on Varun Gandhi controversy - Mar 17, 2009
- Maneka says Varun Gandhi being targeted - Jun 20, 2009
- Varun meets Sonia, invites her to wedding - Feb 16, 2011
- Congress neck deep in corruption: Maneka Gandhi - Aug 25, 2011
- Don't alienate Muslims and lose votes: Naqvi appeals to BJP - Jun 21, 2009
- Varun Gandhi says CD doctored, BJP distances itself (Roundup) - Mar 18, 2009
- Notice to Varun Gandhi for defamatory remarks during Lok Sabha polls - Jul 28, 2010
- BJP distances itself from Varun, waits for poll panel view (Lead) - Mar 18, 2009
- Maneka Gandhi refuses to comment on son Varun - Mar 17, 2009
- Sonia, Rahul to be invited for Varun's wedding: Maneka - Sep 27, 2010
- Varun Gandhi gets bail but NSA keeps him behind bar - Mar 30, 2009
Tags: abbas, bharatiya janata party, caste, constituency, district authorities, election commission, family background, former prime minister, indira gandhi, Lok Sabha, maneka gandhi, model code, mukhtar, naqvi, prime minister indira, sanjay gandhi, strong belief, uttar pradesh, varun gandhi, younger son